Sign in to follow this  

Should I give my YZ 250 a chance?

Ok a little back ground. I been ridding big bores for 13 yrs now, the last time I had a 250 was 96.

I thought I would try a more modern 05 YZ 250, I've read that the yz was the bike to get through many forums and mags.

So after riding it for a little while I'm not that impressed. The main problems are:

#1 A lack of torque off the bottom, and yes the bike is relatively fresh. ( I contribute this to subconsciously comparing it to my 500 and my 450 from the past.)

#2 Handling It doent turn or handle the rough stuff as well as I thought it would. (contribute this to improper suspension set up).

#3 I feel cramped on the bike.( I contribute this to my size I'm 6'2" and 220lbs.)

I know this bike has potential , but for me I will have to do a complete suspension overhaul (springs,valving) to properly set it up for me. I know I'll still have to spend $$ on either way I go for the best set up. I'm just worried that if I dump a bunch of $$ into the YZ I still may not be content with the power. Is there anyone out there that felt the same way and was able to get it right?

Sticky,

I have an '04 YZ450. It has so way too much power off the bottom! My '08 YZ250 lacks that punch on the bottom and that makes it easier to ride. The handling on your 250 will blow away any 450 if you are setup properly. If you can't corner the 250 the 450 will not work well. If you want to add some bottom end punch, try a smaller front sprocket. Dropping a tooth is pretty cheap. If the gearing doesn't suit your riding, then a different pipe or silencer are good options. I run stock gearing and really like it for MX.

I'd bet your jetting is off. If you don't reject frequently then it is probably off. The one drawback of the 250 vs a 4 stroke is that your engine is very sensitive to jetting, whereas the 4-strokes are not. Being spot on withe the jetting is well worth the investment in time. Get your jetting right before making any determination about the power your bike has.

I tried a smaller sprocket when I first got the bike. It helped me learn to ride it. As I progressed I found the gearing didn't fit the tracks I am riding. I ride much better than I did on the 450 because the 250 forced me to try harder to keep up with the 450's. Now I beat the guys I couldn't hang with when I initially made the switch. The bottom line is that you should ride what you like riding. I believe I can turn very close lap times on the 450F, 250, and 250F. There are parts of the track that any one of the bikes does better than at least one of the others.

I don't ride my 450 often, last riding it about two months ago. I rode my son's 250F in the desert all day yesterday and I spent a few hours riding my 250 at Perris Raceway Friday. I had a blast on my son's bike yesterday, but the bike that puts a huge smile on my face is the 250 at the mx track.

Like you I am 6' 2" and about 205lbs. The bike feels a touch small, but so does the 450. I think they are the same or very similar fit. Different bars and a tall seat are inexpensive mods you will find you need on any bike. SDG makes a good tall seat and all the bar companies offer a CR-high bend, which I like.

To answer your question on what to do, I'd say that you really can't compare a new bike to the old bike that you don't have setup properly. Spend some money on the proper springs for the forks and shock. Have your suspension serviced (better yet, do it yourself), and play with the setup. Properly jet your bike and adjust the carb. These are all things you will need to do to a new bike as well.

If you do these basics and still don't like your bike, keep it as a backup bike that you will love to get back on once in a while and you will have a fantastic second bike for a buddy to ride.

Good luck either way.

My 06 has stupid pull off the bottom with 13-50 sprockets and a milled head (for proper squish clearance), even though I ride above 5,000 feet. Doesn't seem to care about the jetting.

Tall bars and a tall seat might help you on the ergonomics.

Setting the rear sag might help the turning, and you can adjust the forks in the triples. But I don't know what's going to turn better other than a YZ125.

Being a larger man myself at 6'3" 250 I know I need to spend money to make a bike fit me right. You will have to spend some cash to make any bike work properly for you.

The torque issue will be your biggest one. There are plenty of ways to modify the power output on the YZ250. A tall seat and high bars will meet most of your size requirements. But you will need stiffer springs at both ends and the sag set to get the suspension to do as you want. Valving isn't necessary on today's newer bikes unless you are seriously fast.

Sticky,

I have an '04 YZ450. It has so way too much power off the bottom! My '08 YZ250 lacks that punch on the bottom and that makes it easier to ride. The handling on your 250 will blow away any 450 if you are setup properly. If you can't corner the 250 the 450 will not work well. If you want to add some bottom end punch, try a smaller front sprocket. Dropping a tooth is pretty cheap. If the gearing doesn't suit your riding, then a different pipe or silencer are good options. I run stock gearing and really like it for MX.

I'd bet your jetting is off. If you don't reject frequently then it is probably off.

Like you I am 6' 2" and about 205lbs. The bike feels a touch small, but so does the 450. I think they are the same or very similar fit. Different bars and a tall seat are inexpensive mods you will find you need on any bike. SDG makes a good tall seat and all the bar companies offer a CR-high bend, which I like.

Thanks for the replies. These are some good tips. I think I will play with the jetting and re-spring my suspension. At least find out the bikes potential.

6'2" 250 lbs here. Definitely can't live without my bar risers from Rocky Mountain or my Pro Taper accutrax triple clamp that pushes the bars forward too.

Running 14/52 for tight trail work. Yanked my miserable spooge maker spark arrestor off today and slipped on the OEM silencer. WOW, some snap is back. (the sound is nice too :)). Throw on a '06 or higher OEM pipe or an FMF Gnarly and you'll get some great torque. Combine that with jetting or the JD jet kit and a DEP pipe for actual gains in power everywhere. The earlier two I mentioned just move the power around.

I recently put money into my springs and revalved them for trail work. Very happy with the results (LT Racing). At our size, new springs are a must or the bikes handle like poo - period.

If you look at Renthal 7/8 bars they have a Jimmy Button bend that is a little taller than the CR bend.

Just a FYI for you

Yes, I have those exact bars. Thanks for the tip though.

6'2" 250 lbs here. Definitely can't live without my bar risers from Rocky Mountain or my Pro Taper accutrax triple clamp that pushes the bars forward too.

Running 14/52 for tight trail work. Yanked my miserable spooge maker spark arrestor off today and slipped on the OEM silencer. WOW, some snap is back. (the sound is nice too :)). Throw on a '06 or higher OEM pipe or an FMF Gnarly and you'll get some great torque. Combine that with jetting or the JD jet kit and a DEP pipe for actual gains in power everywhere. The earlier two I mentioned just move the power around.

I recently put money into my springs and revalved them for trail work. Very happy with the results (LT Racing). At our size, new springs are a must or the bikes handle like poo - period.

This is why I titled the thread "give it a chance" I figured that there is a reason the bike is handling the way it is. I know my fat ass is way too heavy for the stock suspension. This is the type of responses I'm looking for. LT racing? Where are they located. I was thinking of going with aftershocks, there not too far away.

This is why I titled the thread "give it a chance" I figured that there is a reason the bike is handling the way it is. I know my fat ass is way too heavy for the stock suspension. This is the type of responses I'm looking for. LT racing? Where are they located. I was thinking of going with aftershocks, there not too far away.

LT Racing in Port Orchard WA. You ought to select someone close by that rides the same terrain as you and knows how to tune for it. LT does have people ship their stuff to him though. He's a renowned tuner of Husqvarna and GasGas but sees his fair share of KYBs off of Yamahas. The key to the tuner is someone that can tune based on the terrain you ride since they've spent umpteen million times there themselves.

A cheap way to get some more bottom and overall performance is to get the squish band knocked down a bit. I've got an 01 and wasn't too happy with the low end. I ended up doing the squish and putting a gnarly pipe on it and improved it a bunch on the low end.

LT Racing in Port Orchard WA. You ought to select someone close by that rides the same terrain as you and knows how to tune for it. LT does have people ship their stuff to him though. He's a renowned tuner of Husqvarna and GasGas but sees his fair share of KYBs off of Yamahas. The key to the tuner is someone that can tune based on the terrain you ride since they've spent umpteen million times there themselves.

Yeah I hear ya, I worked with Phil before at aftershocks, He's been tuning suspension for many years he defiantly knows nor cal terrain.They also do service out at in the field.

A cheap way to get some more bottom and overall performance is to get the squish band knocked down a bit. I've got an 01 and wasn't too happy with the low end. I ended up doing the squish and putting a gnarly pipe on it and improved it a bunch on the low end.

Wher did you get your squish band knocked down? I've read about this on one of the stickys.

What pipe makes more power down low the DEP or the FMF gnarly? The bike has plenty of power up top no complaints there. I'm willing to give up some power on the top to get the low end torque. If the DEP has as much low end gain as the gnarly then it seem like a ++ with the DEP.

Haven't ridden the DEP but folks say it's power everywhere - as in stronger pull everywhere. I liked the gnarly on my '04 - that combined with a Wiseco pro lite and it was too much low end pull/snap for some of the trails I rode. I never ever felt that the Gnarly zapped top end but I don't ride in that range very often either. I'd first do your suspension then follow up with a JD jet kit then squish band then timing then pipe. :)

Try RB Designs in Portland for the squish band mod.

I use a Gnarly and I swear it pulls like a 4 joke off the bottom. The snap is still there, just a little lower and just the tineist bit milder. The top seems unaffected and with a race tech spring for my ummm... "largeness" I am 100% happy. I jetted just the smallest amount on the rich side for safety and just adjust the mix screw for track or trail.

...Tall bars and a tall seat might help you on the ergonomics.
Don't neglect the possible ergo benefits available by moving the pegs down and back a bit...

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=509603

You can get a spare set of footpegs to modify for silly-cheap on fleaBay.

I have a pair of modified pegs that I just move from bike to bike.

(Modern peg design is so common, most pegs are even swappable to different brands of bikes.)

Lower pegs has been one of the most satisfying mods I've done to my YZ!

Good luck!

Don't neglect the possible ergo benefits available by moving the pegs down and back a bit...

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=509603

You can get a spare set of footpegs to modify for silly-cheap on fleaBay.

I have a pair of modified pegs that I just move from bike to bike.

(Modern peg design is so common, most pegs are even swappable to different brands of bikes.)

Lower pegs has been one of the most satisfying mods I've done to my YZ!

Good luck!

Thanks CaptDan. Just yesterday I was looking at my bike and wondering if I could lower the pegs a tad. I would rather do tis than a hi-rise seat. I'm thinking a slightly higher seat with slightly lower pegs. I would like to install some aftermarket triple clamps so I can raise my bars even higher.I'm already running the Jimmy Button hi rise bars.

Thanks CaptDan. Just yesterday I was looking at my bike and wondering if I could lower the pegs a tad. I would rather do tis than a hi-rise seat. I'm thinking a slightly higher seat with slightly lower pegs. I would like to install some aftermarket triple clamps so I can raise my bars even higher.I'm already running the Jimmy Button hi rise bars.

Pro Taper accutrax (move bars forward) with the Tusk bar risers......... Mmmm Mmmm Good!

The problem now when I ride any other bike they feel like a mini bike.... :)

Ok a little back ground. I been ridding big bores for 13 yrs now, the last time I had a 250 was 96.

I thought I would try a more modern 05 YZ 250, I've read that the yz was the bike to get through many forums and mags.

So after riding it for a little while I'm not that impressed. The main problems are:

#1 A lack of torque off the bottom, and yes the bike is relatively fresh. ( I contribute this to subconsciously comparing it to my 500 and my 450 from the past.)

#2 Handling It doent turn or handle the rough stuff as well as I thought it would. (contribute this to improper suspension set up).

#3 I feel cramped on the bike.( I contribute this to my size I'm 6'2" and 220lbs.)

I know this bike has potential , but for me I will have to do a complete suspension overhaul (springs,valving) to properly set it up for me. I know I'll still have to spend $$ on either way I go for the best set up. I'm just worried that if I dump a bunch of $$ into the YZ I still may not be content with the power. Is there anyone out there that felt the same way and was able to get it right?

don't give the YZ a chance, man. stick with your 450F haha! it should be only the bike to be ridden.... believe me! :banghead:

....or was it the other way around.... the YZ didn't offer you a chance rather :)