Sign in to follow this  

Warm start trouble

I recently got a '97 cr125 and it runs great except for one thing. After i've been riding it for a little while and everything is fully warmed up, it won't start again with the kick start. I have to roll start it down a hill which works fine but why won't it start with the kickstarter? Starts fine when cold. Any ideas?

I did check the gas tank vent per advice from another post and this seems fine.....also, the bike won't idle right now, i think it was just set low by previous owner because the kill switch doesn't work. Would the idle setting have anything to do with the warm starting issue?

So how would i lean out the pilot circuit? If i just adjust the idle speed screw is that doing the same thing? Or is there a pilot jet that i need to adjust by taking off the carb? Also, is there any harm or extra wear associated with roll starting a bike? thanx

The pilot circuit of the carburetor determines the off-idle fuel mixture. The pilot circuit mixture is determined by the air scew on the outside of the carb and the pilot jet inside. The air screw position will have little to no effect until you get the pilot jet right. A good starting position for the air screw should be 1.5-2 turns out from fully seated. A high float level and a leaking choke valve will also make the bike run rich and difficult to start when hot.

Roll starting the bike will cause no problems.