Sign in to follow this  

Hungry Valley - Trail for begginers

Quick question for everyone. I am taking my son to Hungry Valley for the first time. I do have the map of the svra, with the trail names.

My question is, which trail is best for beginners? I'm looking for a relatively flat trail, with little to no inclines or declines, thats best suitable for beginners and kids.

Thanks

never been there but if no one responds you can always ask some one when you get there.

have fun and be safe

Maybe El Mirage would be better. I don't know where you're coming from, but thats as flat as they come.

Gorman is a nice place to go ride. My wife has learn to ride there and enjoys it now. Gorman has a wide varity of riding terains and is fun for people of all riding levels. El Mirage is fun also and it is a flat as it gets with the lake bed and is alot bigger than Gorman SVRA. Off the topic but Adelanto which is the closest city to El Mirage has 3 bed/2 bath house for sale for $60k and at the highest where a $300k house. We are looking to buy for the sole purpose of rental property but the reality guy is taking for ever.

Gpalmos

Hungry Valley is fine for beginners. You didn't mention your son's age, but there are several tracks to choose from. If he's really small (riding a 50 or similar) most campgrounds have a haybale course set up so they can ride for hours while the parents watch from the RV. There is an intermediate trail for motorcycles near the 4X4 track. This is a one-way loop, closed to quads that has a few jumps, but nothing major. Can get sandy at times. Finally, there is the Tatavarian Trail, that is like a bobsled run. But here there are controled inclines and declines and best saved until your kid has more confidence. It's on the western side of the park. Lots of fun- also one-way and closed to quads and Rhinos.

All of the marked trails are rated by difficulty like ski runs. Stick to the 'green' trails and you kid will be fine.

Gorman is a great place to go...the trails are well marked like mentioned above and groomed. If I remember right, Power Line was a really easy fire road. I would make sure someone rides in front of your son, some people use Power Line as a haul butt from one single track to another.

Also lots of riding around the camps. The southern end seems to be a bit more sandy which might be more difficult for your son.

Just looked at the map.. Power line and Pipe line would be the two good ones. I think anything that ends in "road" is going to be good, they are just fire trails.

Stay in the Valley and you should be fine. I believe you can run up and down Rattlesnake with ease. Or you always have the power line Rd. If his confidence gets a little better, you can check out the other trails. You can run em by yourself first and get an idea. Actually you can do most of the trails by yourself real quick to get an idea. I don't think id suggest Tataviam just because there are a couple corners that have little drop offs that can be a little tight and tricky. IDK where you plan on staging but there is a trail that runs alongside the main entrance Rd. (Gold Hill) That is fun and easy, I believe it is Spaghetti Pass and the North end Roadrunner which is off of Rattler TRL. Like i said you can pre run most of the trails in about 10 minutes or less. Or do a quick warm up ride when you get there and check it all out. The mini track is in smith forks campground. That would be a good place to stage as well. Most of the day trippers stage at Edison or Sterling. Have fun and keep an eye out for the idiots

If you going on a weekend be very aware that all of the easy trails are two way trails (not that many HV regulars even care that there are one way trails anyway). Stage at Cottonwood to avoid some of the vermin that occupy the staging areas closest to the main gate. It's a good place for beginners and there is some fun stuff out there when he progresses. They will give you a map at the gate. Backbone and the "blue groove" is real fun to hit after he gets some experience.

cant remember the name but it's starts (or ends) buy the powers lines on the right side if you came in from the main gate it's right after the down hill part of the road. i used to take my wife on that one all the time. you can ride all the way to the main gate if you make lefts or go to a nice over look if you make rights. sorry about forgeting the names but it's been 4-5 years since i rode those trails (i miss them) but i'll be back in So. Cal soon :)