Sign in to follow this  

Baja Trip of Lifetime - 2009!

Some of you may have seen this, but I thought I would post it up here since 2 Washingtonians represented the great NW down in Baja! Gotta give a big thanks to George at Up-Tite Racing & Mike Kay for setting up this unbelievable Baja experience (2 chase trucks and it didn't cost us a dime outside of our own expenses)! It was humbling to meet George and I was in total awe of the man. Mike went out of his way to ride sweep when he needed to, provided his truck as a chase vehicle, put some of us up in luxurious bachelor pad in San Clemente with an unbelievable view of the ocean, provided 2-up services whenever needed, pre-run some stuff to make sure it was the right trail and just an overall great guy to have a beer with! And last but not least, I wanted to thank Blake, Blake's father and his buddy Dave for providing another chase truck with everything that goes into that. You should have seen their friggin' checklist...crazy.

No...Greg and I didn't travel as far as Armin & Jaime from Ontario and not even close to Roger from Connecticut, but we did put in our share of miles to make it to Baja. It was over 1800 miles each way. I left Seattle around 11:30 PM and Greg and I from his place in Steilacoom around 12:30AM +/-. The exact times and days from here on out start to get blurred. Thanks to Greg...I did a lot of sleeping. So we arrived at Dean's place late morning/early afternoon and met up with Coffee, Mike Kay, Tammy & Eric for a bite to eat before heading down to San Clemente. The first part of this trip started off really weird for me as I went to sleep in the back of Mike's truck next to his sexy Italian beast. When I first jumped in the back and they locked me in, it was still light out. Next thing I know, a bump in the road or something wakes me up and I start to panic because it's pitch dark, I'm claustrophobic, I'm in a sleepy daze and I don't know where I'm at. Anyway, I had to call Mike on the cell to stop the truck and let me out, which he did to almost a skidding stop! Great...now I'm friggin' wuss.

Greg - loading up.

GEDC0001-1.jpg

We stopped by Motosportz for midnight transaction!

GEDC0002.jpg

Locked and loaded.

GEDC0003.jpg

Our Baja chariot.

GEDC0004.jpg

Pilot.

GEDC0006.jpg

Co-Pilot.

GEDC0007.jpg

Mt. Shasta area.

GEDC0008.jpg

GEDC0009.jpg

GEDC0010.jpg

GEDC0011.jpg

Loading up the chase truck at Dean's place.

GEDC0015.jpg

How can you not like In and Out?

GEDC0022.jpg

Thanks,

David

Everything immediately got better from there. We arrived at Mike's brother's place in San Clemente, which we were all in awe of. Now I know how the rich and wealthy live. The master bathroom was bigger than my last apartment...almost! Just so you don't feel bad, my wife and I just moved out of that little apartment and bought a decent sized townhouse in West Seattle. I guess the bearing business is alive and well. Anyway, it was nice to bond with everyone over some beer and wine before going to bed. I got up around 6:30 - 7AM to the two reasons I would ever consider living in California...the weather/sun and beach! Mike had to attend to some legal things while we walked down to the local coffee spot enjoying the beautiful neighborhood. When we got back, I got to see and mildly help out with valve adjustments on Mike's TE 610. It wasn't as easy as everyone makes it out to be. After that, it was off to pick up Brett, who dead asleep in a parking lot when we drove up and onto Mexico.

The bachelor pad from hell!

GEDC0024.jpg

The view from heaven!

GEDC0027.jpg

A quick valve adjustment...yeah right.

GEDC0035.jpg

Mike's Baja weapon of choice.

GEDC0032.jpg

One cool chick!

GEDC0042.jpg

Check out Brett...he's dead asleep when we came to pick him up.

GEDC0043.jpg

GEDC0041.jpg

GEDC0049.jpg

GEDC0053.jpg

So here's the group!

Armin and Jaime

GEDC0076.jpg

Matt

GEDC0077.jpg

Gary

GEDC0078.jpg

Bob

GEDC0079.jpg

Bryan

GEDC0080.jpg

Jules and friend (I can't remember his name)

GEDC0081.jpg

Fellow Husky rider - I forgot his name too.

GEDC0082.jpg

Dave and Blake

GEDC0083.jpg

Jim

GEDC0084.jpg

Blake's father

GEDC0085.jpg

Brett

GEDC0086.jpg

Gary

GEDC0087.jpg

Cleat

GEDC0088.jpg

Roger

GEDC0089.jpg

Curtis

GEDC0090.jpg

JimO

GEDC0092.jpg

Nick

GEDC0093.jpg

Eric

GEDC0094.jpg

Tammy

GEDC0095.jpg

Mike Kay

GEDC0096.jpg

I awoke to a gorgeous sunrise and breakfast began where dinner left off. This was the first time we all had a chance to see everyone geared up with their Husky's...what a sight to behold! I was starting to get a little nervous as I had never ridden in this kind of terrain...ever. First things first...we headed over to top off at a gas station before getting right to it. The first thing I noticed was how unstable my front end felt through the sand and how many whoops there were. It was some serious fun when you got into a rhythm, but I was breaking a sweat already. I thought if it's going to be like this for 200 miles, I might not make it. The next section was really deep sand, but was very flowing and I was starting to get an idea of how to ride it...keep on the gas (don't let off), keep your weight back, light grip and let the front end dance around without worrying about it. Our first riding casualty was Roger as he crashed into the back of Jim, but no harm no foul as no one was hurt...just ripped off all his blinkers. Our second riding casualty was Cleat who had a great time in the sand box. A big thanks to Mike for riding 2-Up!

GEDC0100.jpg

GEDC0101.jpg

GEDC0102.jpg

GEDC0103.jpg

GEDC0105.jpg

Everyone getting ready for the first part of the ride!

GEDC0106.jpg

GEDC0107.jpg

GEDC0108.jpg

GEDC0109.jpg

Greg was trying to put a mexican hex on me!?!?

GEDC0110.jpg

GEDC0111.jpg

GEDC0112.jpg

GEDC0113.jpg

After coming out of the sand, we did some street and a good amount of high speed, rocky-dirt-road type stuff that would send chills through your bike and body whenever you hit a big'n! My eyes were huge with concentration and I'm Asian...think about it. This went on for a while until we arrived at Alfonsia's for lunch. Man was I ready for a beer and some grub. The view out the back was worth the every boulder I hit! When they finally put the lunch out on the tables, you had to watch your hands as you might loose a finger or two from the feeding frenzy. As you can imagine, everyone was really hungry and luckily there was plenty of food to go around. I wanted to get going soon because I stayed any longer I would have tightened up and needed a nap.

Man...the views!

GEDC0116.jpg

Is that snow...ha ha.

GEDC0117.jpg

Our fearless leader!

GEDC0118.jpg

Blake was the most protected rider out there.

GEDC0119.jpg

Brothers in arms!

GEDC0120.jpg

GEDC0121.jpg

GEDC0122.jpg

GEDC0123.jpg

GEDC0124.jpg

Greg getting ready for a real feast at Alfonsias!

GEDC0126.jpg

GEDC0127.jpg

GEDC0128.jpg

GEDC0129.jpg

GEDC0130.jpg

GEDC0131.jpg

GEDC0132.jpg

A group well fed!

GEDC0133.jpg

Back on the road and it's more of the same rocky stuff until we get to Coco's place. It was great to finally meet him and to feel his unbelievable spirit! From there, we broke into 2 groups. One was a little easier and the other was more advanced. I went with the advanced group and had a hell of a time keeping up with everyone initially. George led, followed by Blake, Jim, Nick, Eric and me. Jim was blindingly fast and I still don't know how Erik could get his beast of a bike to move so fast either! Hell everyone in this group was really fast and wanted to open it up a bit and they did! Once it got a little more technical, I started to catch up a little. We went down into a canyon, which was my favorite part of the entire trip!

Coco's

GEDC0138.jpg

GEDC0139.jpg

This a great video of JimO showing us how to do the water crossing!

th_GEDC0140.jpg

George decided to go swimming...with his bike.

GEDC0141.jpg

Hmmm...the bike took in water...doesn't look good.

GEDC0142.jpg

GEDC0144.jpg

We finally got to the Bay of LA!

GEDC0146.jpg

On our way back we were able to run one of Mike Kay's favorite sections followed up by the canyon we did the previous day...this is why I ride!!!!!

GEDC0148.jpg

GEDC0149.jpg

GEDC0150.jpg

Water crossing video.

th_GEDC0152.jpg

And last but not least, you can't come to Baja and not ride on the beach! I tried to take a little video and managed this.

th_GEDC0155.jpg

GEDC0156.jpg

GEDC0159.jpg

GEDC0158.jpg

I am one happy camper...can you tell?

GEDC0160.jpg

Awesome! A few of us here having been bouncing the idea around....talk about another nail to get this trip done!

You guys are my heros! I would love to do a ride like this someday. Until that time comes, I'll just have live the experience vicariously through those amazing pictures.

Mucho gracias for sharing Fitness:thumbsup:

2 days of riding and just over 400 miles!

There's a lot of good stuff south of LA bay too. The inland river where it meets the Sea of Cortez is the hemisphere's northernmost mangrove swamps. The fishing and underwater viewing is similar to an aquarium. I'd like to be part of a trip that stops, camps, etc. I just built my baja machine. When ya wanna go :) ?

Thanks everyone...it was a blast! I love doing trips like this because you get to meet some very interesting people who share a great sport.

Thanks everyone...it was a blast! I love doing trips like this because you get to meet some very interesting people who share a great sport.

like the infamous irondude. calimajue wash is cumgooey without all the water i can only imagine what that was like. great write up.:thumbsup: