Sign in to follow this  

2009 crf 450 starting prob

i was wounderung if there is anyway to get my bike to start on the first kick i have tried and tried but you haft to kick it over a couple of time befor it will start and for racing harescrambles thats a nightmare

Are you priming the pump by repeatedly pushing the kickstarter through it's stroke? I usually do that 4 times and it fires first crank.

i just rode my 09 for the first time this weekend and man, that thing is a pain in the @$$ to start cold. I bet i kicked it about 30 times before it fired. I could tell it was really rich because it kept backfiring. Anyways, i got a remap from Eddie so im hoping that helps. I think it will. Fires in 1 or 2 kicks warm though.

Are you using the cold start assist? Do you have your idle set properly? Do you prime your bike like we have suggested above, maddog?

having eddie on here re map your ecu helps alot

but 3-4 light primer kicks slow through the stroke helps alot, then one hard kick from the very top of the stroke. if you don't go to the very top of the stroke it won't start. when cold pull the idle knob out. when warm leave it in

having eddie on here re map your ecu helps alot

but 3-4 light primer kicks slow through the stroke helps alot, then one hard kick from the very top of the stroke. if you don't go to the very top of the stroke it won't start. when cold pull the idle knob out. when warm leave it in

I don't have a remap, so I can't comment on that.

BUT, I do start my bike according to the above (thanks to the guys on here :) ). This starting method works.

Are you using the cold start assist? Do you have your idle set properly? Do you prime your bike like we have suggested above, maddog?

yes, yes, and yes... I rode the bike again today though after remapping it last night and it made a night and day difference. Now it's about 5 light kicks through the stroke and then one hard kick and she fires right up... The map also really shined on the track as well. Nice job Eddie. :)

Dont really have any starting problems with mine at all. Still waiting on the programmer to arrive so I can try this map. One day maybe...

Dont really have any starting problems with mine at all. Still waiting on the programmer to arrive so I can try this map. One day maybe...

It's nice. You'll like it.