Sign in to follow this  

KX250 L4 heavy clutch

Hi guys, has anyone got any ideas about mods to my Kwaks clutch? I rode my cousins CRF450 the other day and have come to the conclusion that my KX250's clutch is way heavier than i'd like it to be.

I've lubed the cable and lever system but it's made little difference and since i bought the bike used i'm wondering if a previous owner may have put stronger springs in it or something!

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike.

I've owned two 250's: a 97 and my 06. The clutch pull on each is brutal, especially once it heats up. I spent $200 on a hydraulic clutch, and have never been happier. it still et s little stiff after about an hour in the woods, but it is worlds better than it was.

before you go spending unecessary money, check the basket for wear, i bet its notched, these bikes should not have a hard pull like that regardless of year

before you go spending unecessary money, check the basket for wear, i bet its notched, these bikes should not have a hard pull like that regardless of year

+1

They pull like butta new, then they should pull like butta 10 years later. Something is worn. Start with a new cable, check your lever and grease the brass pivot. Start with the easy stuff. If it's the same, open up the basket. Installing a hydraulic clutch is just a band-aid and is not fixing the problem.

Thanks for the tips guys, i rang my local Kawasaki off road dealer today and he pretty much echoed what you've just said. He says it could be the clutch actuator arm that's worn but best to open the clutch casing and make sure no one has done a bodge up job like putting an extra plate in or something, it'll give me a chance to look at the state of the basket too and get a file on it if need be. I'll post back on here with my findings as it may be of interest to others with the same problem. Cheers again,

Mike.

Thanks for the tips guys, i rang my local Kawasaki off road dealer today and he pretty much echoed what you've just said. He says it could be the clutch actuator arm that's worn but best to open the clutch casing and make sure no one has done a bodge up job like putting an extra plate in or something, it'll give me a chance to look at the state of the basket too and get a file on it if need be. I'll post back on here with my findings as it may be of interest to others with the same problem. Cheers again,

Mike.

What year is your KX250?