Sign in to follow this  

flywheel

Is there any other way to tighten a flywheel without an impact gun? Or is it just too much to risk by under or over tightening it?

you can also pull the spark plug out, back the piston down, and feed a few inches of 3/8" rope through the spark plug hole, and as you tighen the piston will come up and stop.......without risk of spoke-damage (i doubt it would damage it anyway) another thing i have done is just take a long zip-ty and zip ty the brake pedal down to my bike stand as far as it can,that works pretty well too

For rm 250

1996-1997 = 26 ft/lb

1998-2002 = 40 ft/lb

I crunched my stator trying to rig some BS up

use the right tool!

I wanted a lighting stator anyway but I HAD to buy it a lot sooner than I wanted to

RMATV has the right tool for $16.00

i totally forgot to put what bike it was on for the specs haha sorry guys. its an 03 rm125. and i appreciate all the help.

there is a tool to hold it cluch/flywheel holder fool, it looks like a pare of vice grips with a flat side for the cluch and post's that fit into the flywheel holes the impact gun works good but you could just torque it down i would put a bar through the sprocket before i put one between the spokes but thats your choice the break trick works well i usualy tie the break pedal down then use the holder just for the extra torque and tighten it down by hand with a 3/8 torque wrench becouse if you use an impact gun to put it on but you'll never get it off with out an impact gun and that makes it realy hard to fix anything on the trail if you ever need to.

Impact gun is great for removal but a bad idea for installation.

I like the zip-ty tip, very creative. I torque mine with the bike in gear while my son is standing on the back brake pedal, the zip-ty would be easier!

There's your answer! Put a bolt or nail or wire in between the chain and sprocket so when it rotates to the sprocket it won't move or tape, tie off, of zip tie the rear brake on!

Does the rope trick work well??

works pretty well, 3/8" seems to work the best

yes, and they actually 'used' to sell a plastic threadable plug for that. I can see why as while the rope is a good trick most will find it far easier to tie the rope around the rear brake lever than monkey with removing and replacing the spark plug. You could even just stick a nail in one of the holes on your rear disc which will stop the wheel from turning when it hits the caliper and then you won't even have to know how to tie a knot!