Sign in to follow this  

handlebars, grips

I'm about to put se protaper handlebars. Do You have any suggestions on how to remove standart grips. Are they glued anyway?. I' d like to keep them for the new handlebars.

What else should I take care of changing handlebars. (klx 250s is my first bike :)

If they are factory grips, they are probably clued on. Mine were and the only way to remove them was to cut down the middle with a razor blade and peal them off. When you put new ones on, a trick is to spray the bar ends with clear spray paint then install the grips quickly. This will keep them from moving around and you dont have to use safety wire to secure them.

I would recommend the protaper pillow top grips.

You can try and peel them off. Push a screwdriver between the grip and the bar to break the glue seal (work your way all around the grip). Hairspray works great to glue the grips on the bar. Just spray the bar and a little bit inside the grip and slip them on. Once the hairspray dries the grip won't slip.

• Like 1

I'm about to put se protaper handlebars. Do You have any suggestions on how to remove standart grips. Are they glued anyway?. I' d like to keep them for the new handlebars.

What else should I take care of changing handlebars. (klx 250s is my first bike :)

I use a blow gun, just insert the tip under the grip and inflate, it will work off

I agree with MaverickAus. Get new grips. Grips seem to take a "set" and aren't the same when removed and reinstalled.

I'm also having trouble getting my stock grips off becasue they are glued. The glue is stronger than the grip. The grip just tears off into tiny pieces and leaves some still on the tube. I've tried a razor, screwdriver, pliers, and sidecutters. Any other suggestions?

Do yourself a favor, you already are smart enough to get rid of the weigh a ton stock bars and get a decent set, so now get a decent set of grips.

I'm also having trouble getting my stock grips off becasue they are glued. The glue is stronger than the grip. The grip just tears off into tiny pieces and leaves some still on the tube. I've tried a razor, screwdriver, pliers, and sidecutters. Any other suggestions?

I'm having the same issue. The glue used is stronger than the rubber grip and when I try to peel off the grip, a thin layer of rubber is being left behind on the plastic throttle tube. I'm about ready to just chuck the throttle tube out and be done with it.

Did you have any luck?

Thanks

I recently purchased a new KLX 250 S. I bought a set of Moose Racing bars when I bought the bike. I destroyed the grip on the clutch side getting it off of the stock bar and decided to put new grips on while I was changing bars so I started trying to remove the grip from the throttle tube. I have never seen a grip so firmly attached to the throttle tube as these bikes have. What I did manage to remove came off in tiny little pieces. I decided to heck with it and went back to the dealer to order a new throttle tube. They got a little confused staring at their computer and informed me that the tube could only be ordered with the stock grip already installed. I went back home and started digging around in my collection of old bike parts and found that the throttle tube for an '03 and later Buell lightning fits perfectly and the grip is removable. I'm now running the Buell throttle tube. The KLX throttle tube is waiting for me to be really bored. I think at this point either a lot of time with a file or chuking it up in a lathe would be the best way to remove the remnants of the stock grip. That is not regular grip glue holding that grip on.