My New (to me) Crf 450

Hi Guys, I'm new to the forum and thought I would introduce myself. I'm Taylor from Michigan, I bought myself an 02 CRF 450r yesterday and had a few questions. First, I rode for a couple of hours yesterday and it ran great and hauled serious ass. I couldn't be happier with the bike, it has a 13:5:1 Wiseco piston in it, stock bore, stock pretty much everything else except suspension is pro-action and I still need to go get it set for me. My questions would be 1) I noticed this bike gets hot, real hot if I spend more than a brief stop idling. What can I do to help lower my engine temp and keep it running a little cooler? 2) How often should I change the oil, both crankcase side and tranny side? I rode bikes long ago and switched to quads and rode a 400ex up until now and I get away with only changing the oil once or twice a season. I'm a very casual rider, I like to get out and get on it, but I'll spend little to no days at the track. I'm more of a trails, dunes, kind of guy. Also speaking of dunes 3) 8 or 10 paddle, and what brand? I've heard skat trak paddles actually have a tendency to lose a cup or two in a short amount of time. Well anyway thanks for the help, and here's my bike! (cell phone pic, but I'll get some better pics soon)

03-15-09_1425.jpg

Nice looking bike!

1) I noticed this bike gets hot, real hot if I spend more than a brief stop idling. What can I do to help lower my engine temp and keep it running a little cooler?

Assuming nothing is mechanical wrong, run better coolant. I run Engine Ice brand. Works great!

2) How often should I change the oil, both crankcase side and tranny side? I rode bikes long ago and switched to quads and rode a 400ex up until now and I get away with only changing the oil once or twice a season. I'm a very casual rider, I like to get out and get on it, but I'll spend little to no days at the track. I'm more of a trails, dunes, kind of guy.

Manual says every 15hrs. I change mine every 5 to 10.

Thanks, I'll pick up some engine ice. Also the guy gave me a repair manual and it puts the intervals in terms of races and then secondly hours so I wasn't sure how accurately that translated over. Also that meant it put the replacement of the head and piston on the same time as the oil change which seemed a little excessive to me if I wasn't racing it. I was kind of hoping since the Head, piston, and valves were replaced just before I got it, I wouldn't have to do that for quite a while the way I ride. Since you're the only one that answered me, any thoughts on a good paddle?

Thanks, I'll pick up some engine ice. Also the guy gave me a repair manual and it puts the intervals in terms of races and then secondly hours so I wasn't sure how accurately that translated over. Also that meant it put the replacement of the head and piston on the same time as the oil change which seemed a little excessive to me if I wasn't racing it. I was kind of hoping since the Head, piston, and valves were replaced just before I got it, I wouldn't have to do that for quite a while the way I ride. Since you're the only one that answered me, any thoughts on a good paddle?

Yep, the piston interval does seem excessive. I sure as heck don't replace the piston that often and I'm guessing 99% of this board doesn't either.

Can't help you on the paddle. Not much sand in my neck of the woods.

id go with a 8 paddle thats my opinion, thats just what i run on my 450, i go to glamis alot iv seen other 450s with 10 paddles and it seems to look like the bike is a lil sluggish doesnt get the tire spinning enough, my uncle ran a 10 paddle but that was on his built cr500 but now he has a 450 with an 8 paddle...either go with a chen ching (aka sand snake) or sand pro i have both and and have had no problems never had a cup come off but iv seen cups come off of skat tracks before hopfully this helps and make sure u have a spare water pump seal its a 4 dollar part, on my moms 04 crf450 she goes through them a couple times a year but it usually happens when were at glamis when its warm... good luck

thanks, I'll make sure to pick up a pump seal. I'm thinking about picking up a King's Turbo 8 paddle. Has anyone had any bad luck with those and does that little side fin make any real difference in handling or is it primarily looks?

Also why am I having a hell of a time finding an outerwear for an 02 air filter? There are puterwears for every year except 02. Is the filter substantially different than an 03 or can I just buy a filter for the 03 and kill the headache about it?

Isn't the Sand Snake made by AMS? Is that paddle decent or should I just spend the extra few bucks on a King's Turbo paddle? Also to extend my other question, any ideas on where to get an outerwear for my 02's air filter?

I went ahead and did it, I ordered the King's Turbo 8 paddle. I heard from multiple places that I can't go wrong, and had even heard that people who used cheng shin 10 paddles actually hooked up better with the KT 8 paddle so I quit screwing around and just ordered it. Also as far as a flag mount I went with a sweet looking HRF rig. Check it out, this pic is off of their site.

honda3.jpg

Anyone here use one of these before? It looks like it'll beat the hell out of drilling up my rear fender. Also if anyone here normally rides Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Michigan let me know, I'll be out there quite a bit starting after April 1st when they open back up for the season.

I go out there all the time in the summer. I use a flag bracket that goes on my axle, and i put it on my non pipe side so it doesnt scratch my pipe. You ever ridden a 450 on the dunes? its soo much different than anything ive ever ridden there before. btw, you got a spark arrestor? you will not get in if you dont.

I go out all the time on quads, but I haven't been out on a 450 bike yet. I messed around in a sand pit here a little over the weeked and started getting a feel for it, now I can't wait for the dunes. I have a spark arrestor on it already, and my paddle & whip mount are on their way so I'll be set by the time they open. My only concern is what I'm going to have to do to fit my paddle in. I already know by looking I'll have to take the mudflap off, but hopefully I won't have to buy a smaller sprocket just to fit it.

i gear mine real low just because its a wide open area. i run a 14/48 for the dunes and it hauls in the top end. i cut my mud flap and bought another one for mx. the reason being the shock still has a seal and the sand isnt good for it so half a flap is better than none.

Good stuff, I can't wait until the season starts up. If you're ever looking for a group to go with, I'll hit you up when we head out there. Hopefully the group I go with will be going one of the first weekends that Silver Lake is open