Sign in to follow this  

1978 DR370 Mikuni VM32 Carb settings Help!!!

I have a problem now on my 78 DR370.

It was starting great all the time, but was bogging down bad at accel. I picked up the needle 2 notches (it was set at the lowest drop setting).

It runs great now at accel but is now hard to start, doesnt idle right (it'll idle good for a while and then drop off Ill blip the throttle and ittl usually pick back up.) and it has a flat spot/lag on initial accel. Once it gets past that spot it runs fine. I am going to pick the needle back up one and see what that does. My main question is this.

on the bottom of the vm32 going forward toards the intake directly after the float chamber with the float chamber on there is a screw with a tapered needle end.

I pulled it out when i was cleaning the carb and didnt note if it was set or just tight.

Does anyone know what its for and if tis settable where I should turn it? This is not the mixture screw on the side, I have that set at 1.5 turns (per the book). I do have the original Clymer for this bike, but it doesnt address this screw at all.

Any advice on fixing my issues would be appreciated. ( I have an engine repair background so dont be afraid to be technical)

Thanks in advance,

P

:)

I have a 1978 DR370 & have fought with that stock carburator for years. My bike would run terribly lean unless I ran the choke on all the time, which killed the idle. I tried everything under the sun to get it to run correctly, including the mystery screw you are asking about. I have the Clymer book too & if you look in the back in the "upgrades" section it says to install a 36mm Mikuni carburator. I did exactly that & my bike runs perfect. The carburator will run you about $100 brand new. Well worth the money.