Sign in to follow this  

KX450F Fuel Level

What is the correct fuel level for a 2007 KX450F?

While chasing a runability issue, I noticed my float level was way high and reset to 8mm as prescribed by the manual. Then I started having difficulty starting the bike.

I checked the fuel level (using a clear tube from the bottom float bowl vent) and found to be about 2mm above the top surface of the float bowl, which is 8mm higher than the manual says it should be (manual says it should be 6.5mm below). Obviously both can't be correct unless there is a problem with the float. However, a know good float yields the same result.

To further complicate, I checked the fuel level on another KX450F and found to be 10mm above the top of the float bowl. And a CRF450F measured 8mm above the float bowl. What should the measurement be?

I can't see well enough to tell when the tab just hits the little pin on the float valve. But I can see well enough to set the fuel level with a tube. I set it at 10mm above the top of the float bowl and all is well again. The manual is wrong (it says 6.5mm below), which makes the fuel level 16.5mm lower than it should be. Thanks. :)