Sign in to follow this  

Buying this week...

OK, I have just sold my 2007 WR450 and am moving in the orange direction... I rode my buddies 04 KTM sx-f 450 the other day at the track (I ride trail and track) and loved it. It handled the track much better than my WR, and motivated me to sell it and go orange. I have shopped around at my local KTM dealer and was very close to purchasing the 08 sx-f 450.... Then I got on here and decided to do some research. I am now leaning towards the xcf 450 on account of what I have read some of you say about the sxf 450 on the trails. Unless I do some serious mods, I would be better served getting an xcf 450. My question is this: Is the xcf 450 gonna be able to crawl around on the trail when I hit the more technical stuff?? Or is it too snappy as well? What about over-heating at the slow speeds like I read about the sxf 450? From what I read, the xcf 450 does great on the track. Any input?

The XCF has a low 1st gear (not as low as a WR but still low), so its fine on the technical trails. If its too snappy you can add a $20 ignition map switch and switch on the fly between the two maps (performace and soft). XCF does great on the track too, you just won't use 1st gear ever. I don't think overheating is any different between the bikes, but you've got to go really slow for quite awhile to overheat. It helps to put a higher pressure radiator cap on.

I ride my SXF on plenty of technical stuff and its fine for me but its not for everyone. The XCF is the best bike out there for what you like to do.

get it jetted right and it wont heat up as much, then get an overflow bottle and if that doesnt do it then you can still add a fan

I would think the sxf might overheat on slower stuff if the guy was on the clutch a ton to keep it that slow, that constant clutch work will overheat any bike. If they ride the sxf at it's speed probably the same as the xcf. My 505 does great in the trails, tight to wide open, extremely versatile bike and you'll use 2,3 and 4 on the track (and once in a while 5th for a few seconds if it's really open.) It doesn't overheat any more than any other bike - as in you can overheat any bike sometimes but some seem to run hot most of the time, mine doesn't. The xcf has my vote for the best do it all bike out there.