Sign in to follow this  

KXF450 Gurus Please Help

I have been a Honda rider but am looking into buying a 2006 KXF450. How serious is this piston pin issue on the 06 models? Did it effect every 06 model or just a certain VIN range? Is it smart to buy an 06 that has not had this pin replaced? Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks guys.

i had an 06 and now an 07 and they both had galled wrist pins.if the bike looks and runs good just buy a top end off ebay and youll be good.i got a wiseco top end without head and base gasket for around a hudred bucks and the gaskets can be had from motosport for probably around 45 bucks shipped or maybe tt will sell them cheaper.ive done business with tt but the shipping times are longer than others.

Thanks for the quick reply. If I get the bike I would definitely rebuild the top end. Is there a good write up on how to do a top end rebuild on this site that includes pics? I searched but I couldn't find one. Thanks again.

there used to be a service download in the faq sticky.take a look in there ,im not sure if it is still there.

I clicked the link for the service manual but it told me the website did not exist or the link may be messed up. Is anyone else having this problem with the service manual link or is it just my computer?

All the 06 had the problem,in 07 the revised the piston pin.Personally I still think the oem piston is weak and the coated pin is just masking the problem.If the engine has been run too long with the stock piston/gaulled pin it might have caused excessive wear on the crankshaft.I use stock compression wiseco which I think is the best way to go power/reliability wise.

I have the service manual on my computer,perhaps I can send it to you somehow?How good are you mechanically,the job is not hard but needs a lot of attention to get right.You also need two torgue wrench,one for the camshaft cap bolts and one for the cyl head bolts.Im not trying to scare you but you might consider having a friend with experience and right tools to assist you the first time.

MCL, if you could hook me up with that manual that would be great. I consider myself to be mechanically inclined. I have yet to do a top end but I have done multiple valve adjustments and cam swaps. I'm not too worried about doing the work myself as long as I have a good manual or write up to guide me.

http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=wwsoxr0s4lc

Just put it on some random site,hope it works.The file should be a 7.5 mb pdf file.

The manual should guide you through the job.

Quick tips:

Remember to wash the engine real good before you start tearing it apart so no dirt gets inside.

Take your time and dont rush.

Put a cloth under the piston/around the crankshaft to stop anything to drop in the crankcase.

Clean the cyl wall using scotch brite/ball hone to make the rings seat better.

Put the piston rings according to service manual/manual that came with the piston.

Make absolutely sure the circlips are seated correctly in the piston.

Torgue the cylinder head and camshaft cap bolts by small steps in the right order.Also make sure the camshaft caps seat fully before you start to torgue the bolts.

When putting the camshaft tensioner on screw the tensioner all the way back,lock it in that position by some method.First after you torgued the tensioner bolts should you apply tension on the chain.

Some people say to do break in according to manual,some say to to ride it like you stole it.

I didnt start the engine until I was going to ride it,let it warm up properly.Then I started making full throttle accelerations in 4 gear from low to semi high revs and then let of throttle,let it engine brake and start the process over again.Did this a couple of times and then started riding normally.Doesnt smoke like it did before the rebuild,starts first kick and power is great.

I own a Kawasaki dealer, and have never seen ANY KX450 come in with piston pin issues. I speak with other local dealers and Kawi engineers frequently, and none of them have ever mentioned any "problem" either. To this day, the same pin is sold by Kawi. If there was an issue with it, you can dam-well bet they would have superseded it to an "improved" pin.

Dont worry, i just got my 06 rebuilt, they now put the 08 pins in the 06.

had every bearing seal top end bottom end replaced... even the head, valves everything!! Check the vin, if its under 5000 get it checked out at a shop.

MCL thanks for the manual, it is exactly what I need! I read over the top end portion of the manual and I don't think I would have a problem with doing the job myself. In fact, I kind of look forward to it (is that wierd?). Thanks again for your help.

I own a Kawasaki dealer, and have never seen ANY KX450 come in with piston pin issues. I speak with other local dealers and Kawi engineers frequently, and none of them have ever mentioned any "problem" either. To this day, the same pin is sold by Kawi. If there was an issue with it, you can dam-well bet they would have superseded it to an "improved" pin.

Really? I have been doing a ton of searching and in almost every thread guys are advising people to swap out the pin because it is a time bomb waiting to happen. It is comforting to know that your dealership has not seen any cases of this.

As a Kawasaki dealer and Kawasaki expert you should know they did supercede it from part # 130020009 to part # 130020016 in 07 from the problematic 06 pin.

that's strange the dealership i got mine rebuilt at put an 08 piston pin in my 06?

can anyone explain this to me???

the whole motor was rebuilt (all bearings'seals bottom end cases topend head valves cams etc etc)

Team-Green-Kawasaki....

How much was your rebuild? I am looking into a bit of a sketchy situation for a bike purchase. I am looking at buying an 07, and the engine is DONE (sand in the oil). So I am considering it, if the price for parts is right. I would do the entire thing myself, but am trying to figure out how much parts will be. Which parts were replaced in your bike, and do you know much just the parts were aside from the labour? Thanks.

Team-Green-Kawasaki....

How much was your rebuild? I am looking into a bit of a sketchy situation for a bike purchase. I am looking at buying an 07, and the engine is DONE (sand in the oil). So I am considering it, if the price for parts is right. I would do the entire thing myself, but am trying to figure out how much parts will be. Which parts were replaced in your bike, and do you know much just the parts were aside from the labour? Thanks.

Your not gonna like this , :banghead: total for whole brand new motor, was $3500 after taxes and labour, thats canadian so about 2900 american.

Without labour it would have been 2800. thats for every single part replaced, the crank and cams were custom drilled, more agressive cams. the head, valves springs every single seal and bearing was replaced, cases crank cams everything. you can probably save 400 bucks becuase if yours wasnt blown up just seized, you can get the cams drilled aswell as the crank. To me its worth the money becuase now its better than new!:) if you need any help or an exact list of parts pm me

If you do it by yourself, you can get the bike repaired and brand new condition for only $2100. (Canadian)

good luck!

my 06 seems to be runnin strong, change the oil every ride, filter every other and no problems ever. I let it warm up befor revving the piss out of it unlike 99% of guys I see at the track/trails. My mom works at the local kawi dealer and no kx 450's have been in service for a motor related prob. other then valve adjustments. I also have read tons of people saying piston pin this piston pin that, yet ive yet to see one personaly. Maybe it depends on how you take care of the bike or maybe its pure luck, who knows! I keep knockin on wood that mines still okay!:)