$900 later......Gators progress

Well here she is.......$650 for the bike and $250 in parts and I have decent looking 98 WR400.

Thank you ColeMD and Rocky Mountain Rider for your help with my bike it was much appreciated.?:banghead:

Also thanks merfman for the awesome tank.

Just waiting on a rear sprocket and gasket for the tank and Im ready to ride.

Definitely ready to get some riding in, especially since I take off for deployment this summer.

Thanks for the help guys.

Also I have W.E.R damper for sale if anyone wants one.

DirtBike003.jpg?t=1237165648

DirtBike002.jpg?t=1237165675

DirtBike001.jpg?t=1237165694

No Problem on the help, just glad I could. Bike looks great for 900. So why get rid of the steering damper? You should put it back on. They work wonders, I wont ride with out one anymore. I actually have an extra WER damper also. Just let me know if you need any more help with the bike. Or if you want to ride.

I forgot to ask if you ever got it started or not.

Not yet still waiting on the gas tank gasket to fire her up.

As far as the damper......im not a big fan of cutting the number plate....looks trashy to me. I stared at the bike for like an hour thinking of ways to put the damper on without cutting and couldnt find anything.

You dont have to cut much some even get away with just a round hole from a hole saw in the plate and it does not look bad at all in my opinion and it is well worth it. You should mount it with out the plate and ride it then take it off and ride it again to see if you want to get rid of it , they make a huge difference, and since you already have it it wont cost you an arm and a leg to get one. The WER dampers really are good dampers. I think you will be suprised at hom much they help if you have never ridden with one before. And you could always put a bit of fuel into the carb bowl to see if it will start without waiting on the gasket.

I second the damper opinion. I won't ever ride without one again. It completely deflects all the trail trash...and there is a lot of it here.

That bike looks a hell of a lot better than last time I saw it. Glad it's coming together for you. Let me know if you need anything else.

You missed a decent day at PMI today. It was super crowded and got real windy which kind of sucked, but it was seat time, and any seat time is a good time.

Let me know when I need to come get you and throw that Yammy in my trailer so we can go ride. 717 is calling my name.

• Like 1

So I got the bike all put together......adn everything is leaking:banghead: ? I cant get it to start

Something in the water pump is leaking fluid all over....i think its a weep hole....

And the carb is just pissing gas out of the bottom. I am so frustrated now.

Anyone have any input to the carb thing.

Coolant out the weep hole is a bad water pump seal. If fuel is comming out of the overflow tube. Then the float needle is not seating. Try to clean the needle and seat. If this wont work you may need to get a new needle and seat.

Second vote on the float needle. When my 250 smoker was doing it, I would just smack the float with a rock and sometimes it would seat itself correctly again. The way that a real mechanic would do it is prolly quite different. ?

where are you located at? more than happy to help you with both issues.

Im in the springs......but I'm going to try to get the fuel thing fixed today and pull the engine side cover off today....gotta wait till tuesday to get the water pump seals.

ok lets go through a check list.... we have gas right? clean air filter for air? and good spark? if you have all of those then it will be something with the ignition or timing. calm down and think about things... go look at the bike ( don't touch it) then think about it... then change one thing... try it... then change something else... try it... don't try alot of changes as it will likely make things worse!

easiest way is to get a plug tester... its a light that flickers when you kick start it. cheap way is to pull the plug and watch for spark as it is grounded on the motor.. (don't touch it when you kick it over!)

side note if you really want to mess with a stupid friend/enemy have them hold the plug as you kick it... judge by their reaction if it sparked or not...

easiest way is to get a plug tester... its a light that flickers when you kick start it. cheap way is to pull the plug and watch for spark as it is grounded on the motor.. (don't touch it when you kick it over!)

side note if you really want to mess with a stupid friend/enemy have them hold the plug as you kick it... judge by their reaction if it sparked or not...

if this spark plug wasnt a pain to get it out I would try......I need a wobble socket.....otherwise I have to pull seat, tank, and engine mount:foul:

no you don't have to pull that stuff.. you have a second plug that is new? put that on the wire with the other one in the motor... any known good plug will test this for you... as long as you put a new one in there i would say you are kinda safe with leaving it in there. it could still be the plug on the bike if you get the spark with the known good plug but very unlikely to be bad as new! post your results on that. i am in fountain if you want to bring it to me or i can meet you at your place on Thursday. i will be more than happy to help you out... you just have to ride with me one day after we get it running as payment!!

no you don't have to pull that stuff.. you have a second plug that is new? put that on the wire with the other one in the motor... any known good plug will test this for you... as long as you put a new one in there i would say you are kinda safe with leaving it in there. it could still be the plug on the bike if you get the spark with the known good plug but very unlikely to be bad as new! post your results on that. i am in fountain if you want to bring it to me or i can meet you at your place on Thursday. i will be more than happy to help you out... you just have to ride with me one day after we get it running as payment!!

ok so I put the old plug in the wire ( the plug isnt bad at all) i had the wife hold it:devil: .......is there supposed to be a noticeable spark, cuz we didnt really see one, but a few times holding the wire i felt a little shock.