Low speed downhill engine cut out

Hi guys

was out on the drz earlier and found that on low speed downhills ( country road or trail) the engine was cutting or trying to cut out to the point that it bump started itself a few times. it started straight back up again but if an uphill can straight after i had a few cut outs there as well. at normal road speeds everything was running fine uphill/downhill/on the flat. Never had this problem before, plenty of fuel about 10ltrs in a clarke tank and running 13/47 gearing, any suggestions where to look?

cheers

I'm guessing it's your side stand cut-out switch. The one that cuts the engine when you put the sidestand down, or won't let you fire up the engine if it's down and in gear. Disable that and you should be fine. Common issue.

Were you on the rear brake at all? I had a similar thing happen to me when I was learning to ride and I was stalling the engine with the rear brake. I have learned the errors of my ways and no longer try to engine brake and rear brake down a hill anymore :banghead:?

Don't write off the kickstand switch, your foot could be pushing on it if you were standing up while going down the hill. Just my 0.02.

Agreed, and takes 10 seconds to verify. Zip tie the switch, take a ride, see if it happens.

• 1 month later...

Hi all

thought it best to follow up on this, drained the carb first of all and it had a few small particles in there so drained till clean, rode a few times still happened. Remembered that a few weeks earlier had installed a new twin air filter so replaced that with the old standard filter cleaned and re-oiled with twinair bio and the problem went away. Now a few rides down the line the problem has occured a couple of times again so am guessing the twinair bio filter oil is having some impact on the airflow by picking up more dirt or something, the filter isnt dirty other than a small spot at the point the snorkle targets the air filter, so have rotated the filter around to see if thats enough to clear the problem temporarily otherwise it looks like a filter clean every 2 or 3 rides, its not as if am doing long rides in dusty conditions but ther you go ....... unless anyone has any other suggestions ?

cheers

I have been meaning to splice the side stand wires in hopes to disable the engine cut off properties, but i cant seem to find the side stand. any help?

lol...if you can't find the side stand. well...I bite my tongue.

Just follow the wires up from the big metal stick on the side of the bike that keeps it from tipping at rest... There should be a green plug with two terminals, connect them together somehow and go for a ride and see if the problem disappears.

Plenty of people catch the sidestand with their boot when they ride and trip this switch, causing engine cutouts... give it a try.