Sign in to follow this  

Motocross racing, bike size

Just getting back into riding/racing again after a long layoff. I am planning on doing some racing in the future after I get back into shape.

My question is, how are they grouping bike sizes now? are the 250's still running with the 450's?

I just can not make my mind up on a bike. I really like 2 strokes, and feel more confident on them. I had a KX450 that I just did not like and gave it to my son.

I would like to buy a 250, I just feel a 250 does not have much of a chance against the 450's, but I could be wrong. I just do not want to buy a bike that I have to keep for at least a few years, and has no chance against the bigger bikes.

I think its like this now 125 vs 125, 250f vs 250 2t, 450 vs 450.

Im not sure if the 250 2t can race with the 450's.

That is what I am hoping for, I just dont want to buy a 250 2t and be thrown in with the 450's.

If they still did that, I would find something bigger that I liked.

do a search man out of all the post i read, surpised people dont knwo this.

by now.

AMA Class Structure:

125cc B/C

250cc: 122cc to 250cc (four or two stroke)

Open: 122cc to open (Pretty much anything 500's are legal)

Age Classes: Open (122cc to Open)

I will add that your skill level plays a roll. I race beg/nov senior vet. (BTW - I can't believe that at 45 I'm in the SENIOR division. That hurts. LOL!) Anyway, the guys that are beating me are not beating me because thay are on a 450f. Better skills. IMHO - I don't think that a 450f is any faster on the track than a 250f until you get into 4th and 5th gear. Again, at my level of racing. I still primarliy race in 2nd, 3rd and sometimes 4th gear. I think that on my 250f I am riding at about 70% of the bikes capabilty. On a 450f it would drop to MAYBE 50%. More like the 450 would be riding me instead of me riding it. Nowhatimean?

I've got a buddy that keeps telling me I oughta get a 450. I ask why. He says my 250f is a dog compared to his 450f. I tell him, "But dude! I'm beating you on the track!!"

Just some food....................

Thanks for the replies, I have not been to any races in years, other than supercross. I just needed to know, I really want to stay with a 2 stroke for now, and I just cant decide between the KTM 300 or 250.

last time i checked ktm doesn't make a "motocross" 300, the 300 2 stroke would probably be setup for trails, so if i were you i'd go for the ktm 250sx