Sign in to follow this  

Need advice on Top End Rebuild

Alright guys here it goes, currently I am riding an 2004 250r but my motor is a little different... it has a 2006 cylinder with a 2006 cylinder head with stock vavles and springs but with copper/bronze intake valve seats and a stage 1 hot cam... I am going to put in a JE high comp piston but my question is this I want to put in a new 08 cam in there as well,,, I just got back in from checking my vavles and they are starting to tighten up... What would be my best bet as what i should to accommodate the new 08 cam, do I i need to get new valves and springs and if so can u explain to me what I need to get to have this beast ready to go for the season and have the valves last

thx

for the cam you would need differnt springs and if the valves are shot might as well do that right away too

what do you think the best bet would be do to do, get cam and oem springs and what valves,,, also as far as the seats being cut do I need to do that since they are copper/bronze

alot of people on here will recomend a 08 OEM cam with SS ferra(sp) valves, it would go that rought, idk about the seats, i think they need to be cut regardless. and for the SS valves oem springs will not work, they are cheap so its not a big deal

If you have copper alloy seats it's probably a good idea to stay with OEM valves. Those seats are best suited for titanium. (I'm not sure what OEM is for your bike).

And if you are replacing valves and springs it would be a good idea to do a valve job. It seems like you might have a little trial and error to do here as well. I'd assume you would want the springs recommended for the 08 cam profile.

If you have copper alloy seats it's probably a good idea to stay with OEM valves. Those seats are best suited for titanium. (I'm not sure what OEM is for your bike).

And if you are replacing valves and springs it would be a good idea to do a valve job. It seems like you might have a little trial and error to do here as well. I'd assume you would want the springs recommended for the 08 cam profile.

So you are recommending puttin in titanium valves for the intake because of the copper seats? What about the exhaust? And also what I am gettin at is that you need to buy 08 springs for the 08 cam. Sorry about all the questions just a little new with the whole valve buying process :) Also does any recommend a good company that can do this process if I buy all the necesarry parts as i dont have the tools to install the valves and cut the seats? Also I think I will be gettin my parts from motosport.com is that the recommend place for this?

i would stay with Titanium Intakes/ Steel Exhausts.. Just throwing it out there Jesse Williams ( www.williamsmotowerx.net ) makes a 1 Piece Dimpled Titanium Valve, Spring kit worth checking it out..

MX Time offers a good service for cutting the seats, installing the valves..

If you choose to go OEM the Thumpertalk Store will beat any price, so why not support this site? Ive bought from motosport, cheap cycle parts, crfsonly.com and they have all been good..

i would stay with Titanium Intakes/ Steel Exhausts.. Just throwing it out there Jesse Williams ( www.williamsmotowerx.net ) makes a 1 Piece Dimpled Titanium Valve, Spring kit worth checking it out..

MX Time offers a good service for cutting the seats, installing the valves..

If you choose to go OEM the Thumpertalk Store will beat any price, so why not support this site? Ive bought from motosport, cheap cycle parts, crfsonly.com and they have all been good..

That is a good point, as far as buying the valves, will i just need the valve and the spring and use the old parts to assemble the valve train... perhaps does anyone know the price of mxtime to disassemble the old valves and assemble the news one i supply to them. Trying to figure out my budget as college students dont have the most disposable income these days haha.. again thx for all the help

That is a good point, as far as buying the valves, will i just need the valve and the spring and use the old parts to assemble the valve train... perhaps does anyone know the price of mxtime to disassemble the old valves and assemble the news one i supply to them. Trying to figure out my budget as college students dont have the most disposable income these days haha.. again thx for all the help

Tedz, I think you should invest in a spring compressor tool. Cheap, fast, and efficient. Get your seats serviced ($50-100), buy/install your own valves/springs. Another route is to send your head to a engine builder and have them replace the valve train along with a seat service. All new, installed, done. This is what most do. Prices vary, you are looking at $300-600.

http://mxtime.com/Valve%20Seat%20Cutting.htm

4 Valve heads - $75.00

(+$15.00 shipping)

I suppose you could also send your valves/spring kit along with the head. Contact them about an installation fee.

Good luck!

Alright I think I got my plan of attack tell me if it sounds like the right thing to do?

First off are the 08 oem intake vavles titanium since I have copper seats, the guys above saying I need titanium vavles for copper seats? If so....

I am just going to get all new oem springs/valves and use my old retainers and keepers. Get this type of valve tool http://www.keenzo.com/showproduct.asp?M=LISLE&ID=1437662&ref=GB

then send my head into mxtime and have them cut the seats for me and then I will install the new 08 cam and springs/valve.... are there any tips for installing the vavles they seem pretty easy from the videos i have seen, also do they need any type of break in since i will also have my new high comp piston in there that i will need to seat in during the same time? Also will I need to install any shims when I put this together fresh or will it require none since it "brand new" Hopefully it will all go smooth :)

Alright I think I got my plan of attack tell me if it sounds like the right thing to do?

First off are the 08 oem intake vavles titanium since I have copper seats, the guys above saying I need titanium vavles for copper seats? If so....

I am just going to get all new oem springs/valves and use my old retainers and keepers. Get this type of valve tool http://www.keenzo.com/showproduct.asp?M=LISLE&ID=1437662&ref=GB

then send my head into mxtime and have them cut the seats for me and then I will install the new 08 cam and springs/valve.... are there any tips for installing the vavles they seem pretty easy from the videos i have seen, also do they need any type of break in since i will also have my new high comp piston in there that i will need to seat in during the same time? Also will I need to install any shims when I put this together fresh or will it require none since it "brand new" Hopefully it will all go smooth :)

Yes they are titanium, as for the valve tool you will need a valve spring compressor http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0247/ the tool you posted is for installing keepers ( i use a small flathead screw driver which i coat the head in grease, the grease holds the keeper while you can set in place, once the keepers are installed remove the compressor making sure the keepers catch the groove in the valve stem properly) then using the "adapter from the valve spring compressor that you used to compress the valve spring" place over the spring retainer and tap with a little force to seat the keepers, doing so with the head laying on its side (so when the valve opens slightly it doesnt hit the table/workbench) hope this made sense.. alot easier to show then to explain..

break in is the same of any motor.. DO NOT LAP THE INTAKES!! Being Stellite coated lapping will remove this coating and your valves will not last..

It is wise to invest in a shim kit such as hot cams shim kit for you will need to reshim the valves.. then after break in the valves will most likely move again and require shimming..