Sign in to follow this  

Ever lose a shock bolt?

I raced a harescramble yesterday and when I got home I noticed I had lost the upper shock bolt. Has this ever happened to anyone? I have been riding for over 20 years and have never seen this. I don't know how I didn't feel it while riding, maybe the lack of linkage/movement helped it stay in the mount without falling out? Anyways, this is just a heads up to check ALL your bolts regularly. I thought I checked everything, but I admit I don't check my shock bolt too often.

I lost one on my '07 450. The bike felt a little wierd, like it was really choppered out, and I found that it was gone. Ever since that happened, I've been checking it reguarly.

A stock KTM bolt was like $12, so I went to Lowe's and got a grade 8 bolt of the same size, but longer. I put a lock nut on the backside of it this time so it should never back out. It cost me like $3.

yup...lost one on my 06 250xc. Just keep an eye on it.

Tighten bolt with the weight of the bike on tires. Not on a stand.

Safety wire the bolt in place.

Last week i was just tinkering with my bike and found top bolt was loose.

I have heard of this on KTM's and I also heard that it will sometimes bend the shock shaft if the bolt comes out

I drilled a hole in the bolt and lock wired it to the sub frame. It still has a tendancy to loosen up but won't fall out.

A stock KTM bolt was like $12, so I went to Lowe's and got a grade 8 bolt of the same size, but longer. I put a lock nut on the backside of it this time so it should never back out. It cost me like $3.

Lowe's had a metric bolt that size??????

Yes, stock is 12mm by 50mm and I got a 12mm by 70mm (12 is the thread size not the head size). Don't go to Home Depot though. I worked there for 3 years and their metric selection is awful. I wanted a 60mm so I could put a nut on the back side, but they went from 45 to 70. The only downfall is the head size. It is either 17 or 19mm, I can't remember, so it is a little hard to tighten that close to the frame. I will probably order a stock one next time I need to order KTM parts (since the two in my area closed I have to order everything), but for now this one is fine.

it really pays off to check every single bolt on the frame/sub for tightness, then re-loctite....i hate buying oem bolts....i think i will try safety wireing it also this time :thumbsup:

Yup, i also lost my shock bolt, the first time i used my ohlins too! It would seem they need red loctite and some serious torque, hasn't happened since.

I've lost one also...in mid flight over a 90 foot double, when I took off I felt the rear end drop and still, somehow managed to land without crashing. The shock actually went back into the mount when I landed, luck was on my side that day. I have sinced used loctite and still had it come loose?? I check it several times a day now. I have also had the fork cap come loose, and understand that is not uncommon either??

I had mine fall out as well and luckily there wasn't any damage. I have been using blue loctite on it and it still comes loose. I will check it after every 15-20min moto and it alway needs to be snugged up. I think I need to switch to red loctite instead.

Are you guys aware that the tightening torque is 80 Nm for both lower and upper shock bolts ? That´s pretty tight. The rear wheel nut has the same 80 Nm torque spec.

I have never had a shock bolt come loose. Ever. I use blue Loctite on them and i always tighten them while i push down the bike to load the rear shock. It shouldn´t be tightened while the bike is on a stand and the rear wheel is off the ground..

What!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I hate to say it but I think your dealer ripped you off....big time

I lost my upper shock bolt last year (got suspension revalved and didn't reloctite when reassembling), and an oem bolt cost me $2.93.

I now loctite and torque every bolt, haha :thumbsup:

What!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I hate to say it but I think your dealer ripped you off....big time

I lost my upper shock bolt last year (got suspension revalved and didn't reloctite when reassembling), and an oem bolt cost me $2.93.

I now loctite and torque every bolt, haha :thumbsup:

MMM...I had looked at another site and it said $12 something at motosport it is $3.18, guess I will have to pick one up next time I order from them. I know I was looking at the right part as it gave me the correct dimensions. Maybe they had a glitch and added a 1 or something???