Sign in to follow this  

KDX 200 vs 220

Have pretty much decided on a KDX, now trying to decide on 200 v 220, or if it even matters. I am mainly getting it to follow my kids on through trails. No racing intended. 5'9" 170. Most interested in handling and comfort. Prefer good low end torque over speed. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks

Also......why did Kawasaki quit making these?

I own a 220 havent ridden a 200 but i dont think you will be sorry with either one had mine now for just under 6 months go green laning quite frequently just ridden my first Hare & Hounds Enduro on it last weekend was absolutly brilliant. Its light weight aswell so if you drop it on the trails its no to much of a ball breaker to pick it up. Im 5'11 and the only snag ive found is that when im stood up on the pegs it feels like im being pulled over the front beacause the bars are low easily solved im ordering some new bars which are high end ones problem solved. Getting them for when i put her back together again. Get one and you will have great fun.

Normski

220 has more torque than the 200 and can be made to run with the 200 on top if you want it to.

The 220 gets it low end advantage from a smaller carb. I have put the larger carb off of the 200 on the 220 and noticed a slight difference in added snap. Either the 200 or 220 you probably won't notice a difference. Both are great bikes and last forever.

had a kdx 200 back in the late 80's...used and abused it weekly, was like a tank..highly recommend them

Thanks for the input. Both seem like great bikes that are destined to become classics!

Have pretty much decided on a KDX, now trying to decide on 200 v 220, or if it even matters. I am mainly getting it to follow my kids on through trails. No racing intended. 5'9" 170. Most interested in handling and comfort. Prefer good low end torque over speed. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks

Also......why did Kawasaki quit making these?

Thanks for asking this, I'm in the same position too :) only no kids and 8 inches taller. My YZ wears me out in the trails and I rode a friend's 220 last weekend and liked it a lot but I haven't ridden a 200.

I've been looking into these myself. I currently ride an 08 Honda XR650L and while it's fine on the wider trails, it's a handful in the tight & twisty stuff.

I weigh 225#s and am 5'9" and I have my eyes on two right now. one is a 220 that is street legal and in exceptionally good shape($1695), the other is an older 200 and about $1200. The 200 looks like it's been ridden pretty hard.

Would one of these have an advantage over the other as far as my weight is concerned? Also, how many miles of trails can you get out of the stock tank? One of the trails I like to ride is over 70 miles long with a gas station (only has 87 octane) midway.

I've only ridden a CR125 back in the early 90's and am not really familiar with the power of the 2 stroke above that. I saw a friend get bucked off a Kaw 250 in the blink of an eye, so I've been pretty leary of 2 strokers since then.:thumbsup:

I own a 220 havent ridden a 200 but i dont think you will be sorry with either one had mine now for just under 6 months go green laning quite frequently just ridden my first Hare & Hounds Enduro on it last weekend was absolutly brilliant. Its light weight aswell so if you drop it on the trails its no to much of a ball breaker to pick it up. Im 5'11 and the only snag ive found is that when im stood up on the pegs it feels like im being pulled over the front beacause the bars are low easily solved im ordering some new bars which are high end ones problem solved. Getting them for when i put her back together again. Get one and you will have great fun.

Normski

Norm.

Waht type of bars did you mount?

Byte

the 200 and 220 are both great but the 200 is better at reving up into the higher rpms and the powerband is like a four stroke if you can believe that I was scared of 2t to but the kdx is very well manored and you can still pop that wheel up 1st thru 3rd no problem but have to try a bit in latter gears.

If you want the whole story goto canadiandavesjustkdx in the dirt rider forums

With a stock 200 or 220 you should have no problem making it 70 miles between fuel stops. The 87 octane would work but I would use 93 when you can. The stock springs are light for your weight but if you are casually trail riding you should be ok.

220 pistons like to evaporate occasionally. Something to ponder.

True. That's why you want to replace the top end with Wiesco not OEM before it happens.

Also, how many miles of trails can you get out of the stock tank? One of the trails I like to ride is over 70 miles long with a gas station (only has 87 octane) midway.

I've only ridden a CR125 back in the early 90's and am not really familiar with the power of the 2 stroke above that. I saw a friend get bucked off a Kaw 250 in the blink of an eye, so I've been pretty leary of 2 strokers since then.:lol:

I used to ride a YZ250 and got bucked off it a few times too.:usa: KDX is a lot friendlier.

As for gas mileage, that can vary widely with terrain. Flatter, more upper gear running, you might make it 70 miles on a tank. Here in the Midwest woods with the hills and seldom above third gear, 50 miles is pushing your luck on a stock KDX 200 tank. I swear mine doesn't get as good of mileage as my YZ250 did.

Still great bikes, madly in love with mine.:thumbsup: