Sign in to follow this  

Valve clearance on xr600 with HRC Kit HELP!!

OK got back from my ride everything was as expected. I did notice that the valves have been clattering quite abit on heavy acceleration. When I got back I let the bike cool down and adjusted thge valves as per the clymers manual. WOW, I know that slappy valves are happy valves but this is ridiculous. Th valve noise is so loud that it drowned out the exhaust. So i double checked everything, same thing, LOUD valves. The specs must be different, what am I doiing wrong? I have no other point of reference except the Clymers manual. Intake should be .10mm and exhaust should be .12mm. At those clearances the valves are way too loose on my bike. The HRC kit has 1300 miles on it so it is somewhat new. HELP!

Thanks

Mark

I think I may have figured out what I did wrong, when I got bike to TDC I don't think I was on the compression stroke which would explain why the valves were so tight and now so loose.

Marl

...have u adjusted ur decomp??? ...it can make sum racket :banghead:

if ur doing ur adjustment correctly and using the correct feelers those clearance shud not be overly noisey :)

but many performance cams have different clearance specs...not sure about the 600's HRC cam.

:banghead:

...have u adjusted ur decomp??? ...it can make sum racket :banghead:

if ur doing ur adjustment correctly and using the correct feelers those clearance shud not be overly noisey :)

but many performance cams have different clearance specs...not sure about the 600's HRC cam.

:banghead:

Yeah I checked the decomp, you can really hear those valves. Like I said, its been awhile since adjusted valves similiar to these, and did not check for play in the rockers when I got to TDC. I really had to loosen them to get them into spec. So that's why I think I should hae gone around one more revolution then shecked for play in the rockers. Im certain when I do them agoin tonight I will have loads of play in the rockers on the compression stroke.

Sucess!, I just re did the valves. The were so out of spec it was amazing the bike would even start. I got them to the correct specs, but they is still a little noise, it does however perform better than it did before. A little crisper on the throttle and it seems to pull a little stronger. Bike was a little warm when a re adjusted the valves so I am going to let it sit over night and recheck in the AM. I am also a little suspect of the feeeler guages I am using they are cheapies and may not be 100% accurate.

When I pulled the plug to move to TDC I noticed it looked a little lighter than I like so I am going to go up one on the main and see how that works out.

Mark

beware of the brass style feeler gauges, after some useage they are off, ifyour unsure of yours then just make sure the next size up doesnt fit and you will be within .001" of inch and good to go, unless they are REALLY trashed they should be close.

the specs for my stage 1 hot cam are .15 and .20 mm. yours seam very tight.

arent they .006 intake and .008 exhaust for inches

the specs for my stage 1 hot cam are .15 and .20 mm. yours seam very tight.

I did some checking and the HRC manual gives the same specs. Although I do not believe a hotter cam was installed, because when i got the bike I was given a brand new NH4 cam along with an assortment of other aftermarket parts.