Sign in to follow this  

86 xr250r rear disk brake conversion?

Has anyone put a rear disk brake on thier 86 xr250r? It looks like I could put on a later model rim with caliper / master cylinder. I can weld steel and aluminum to change brackets, but dont know about fitment / alignment issues.

You just need a 90-95 swingarm, rear wheel, brake system and master cylinder bracket (or fab yourself). Once you get the bracket welded on just swap all the rest of the parts above.

I did it on my 84, but it took a tad bit more work because of linkage differences.

would the 90 - 95 wheel fit my swingarm if I made something to hold the caliper? trying to keep costs down.It looks like all I need is a different tab for the caliper bracket to slide on. Thanks for the reply!

It might, but the wheel is going to be the most expensive component. If you watch ebay you should be able to find a swingarm for under $50

Check out the following oic of a CR125 rear caliper:

CR125RearCaliper01.jpg

And this for a CR80:

CR85RearCaliper06.jpg

Notice that both have a hole for the axle, and forward of the axle hole is a tab. The tab fits in a slot on the swing arm to keep the caliper from rotating when the brakes are applied and to also allow the axle to be moved fore and aft to adjust chain tension. This mount is not unlike what is used for a drum brake.

Thanks for the pics, I figured it wouldn't be to big of a hassle, especially if I got some ideas that other people had. I suppose I could use just about anything as long as the sprocket offset was right and the axle would fit.:thumbsup: