Sign in to follow this  

Drive Sprocket bolt

My bolt that holds on the drive sprocket keeps rotating out. I have a shim on the back side for my o-ring chain, I put blue lock tight on the bolt and the compression warsher is brand new. It lasted about 7 riding hrs. I would guess. My friend recommends red lock tight and a lock woursher. I guess I will try it, didn't know if anybody else had this problem. Thanks

spray bolt with carb cleaner or brake cleaner and spray hole in coutershaft there is always alot of lube that will keep loctight from working wright.

Be careful with "O" ring chains. I put one on my 09 450 with a spacer and after a few rides my som pulled off the track and said the clutch was gone. After checking further, the pressure washer had shattered and the countershaft sprocket had come off enough to stop the bike. There are several posts on here about this problem.

My bolt that holds on the drive sprocket keeps rotating out. I have a shim on the back side for my o-ring chain, I put blue lock tight on the bolt and the compression warsher is brand new. It lasted about 7 riding hrs. I would guess. My friend recommends red lock tight and a lock woursher. I guess I will try it, didn't know if anybody else had this problem. Thanks

Just had that happen to me on my 09, fortunately the sprocket came off clean and stuck into the frame and I skidded to a stop. I had it happen to my 02 and it chewed up the counter shaft so bad I had to crack the cases and put a new one in. Put red lock tight on it and torque down to specks and check it every so often and you will be fine:thumbsup:

Stewart Frank

09CRF450R

STORM#350

Remove that spacer. It's going to come off one of these times and round off the actual "counter shaft," resulting in an expensive repair.

If you insist on running the spacer, make sure your drive sprocket has a flat and full face where the spacer mates up. If it doesn't, you will put undue stress on your compression washer, via your 23ft/lb torque spec, and break the compression washer every couple of rides.

Trust us when we tell you. I've seen 3 instances of this personally and read about it on this forum 50+ times.

Thanks for everyones help. I have to leave the shim on or the o-ring chain will wear into my case! I will clean out the hole and bolt, apply new lock tite and tourqe it down. I guess I will carry a 12 mm wrench with me when I ride from now on. Thanks agian

I went back to a non o-ring chain becase of this issue. I use red locktite..and do not torque. I tighten till it's tight!!!

Just use a DID VT-Narrow T-Ring chain if you want to use an o-ring chain.

I don't know why people insist on the spacers, when there is an excellent chain DESIGNED to work on this bike.:banghead: :banghead:

I actually now run a regular chain, as its simple to degrease and re-lube every ride.

Good luck :)

The spacer WILL continue to cause that problem. Use a DID VT chain which does not require a spacer since it is purposely made narrower but it is still an O ring chain.