Sign in to follow this  

How do I rewind my stator for lights?

Ok, so I took my stator out and it looks like there is plenty of room for some winding for lights. I have done some reading on rewinding stators, but most of it was for honda xr's. Most people say you need 300 total turns of 18 gauge wire. So is that what I should try for? Basically I know you need to wind the poles in opposing directions and then cover the magnet wire with epoxy. So basically what type of wire do I need and how many turns? I know d_whitmore has done this so it would be nice if he could help also. thanks and here is a picture of my stator.

000_0557.jpg

• Like 1

we have lights on our klx125 has a dr100 ign. and lights.looks like it was made for it and works great front and rear

Anyone else ever done it or know what wire to use and how many turns? Also where can I get some magnet wire?

thanks

I would send it off to Ricky Stator, http://www.rickystator.com/ , and have it done up the right way. Or look in the yellow pages for a local rewinder. IF you realy want to do it yourself, here is a good link... http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/brpstatr.asp

But unless you have some good idea on what you are doing, I wold send it off to have it done professionaly.

I have a good idea what I'm doing I just don't know what gauge wire to use and how many turns. The only person I know of that has done this mod is d_whitmore69 and he doesn't seem to go on TT anymore.

Normaly 18 guage. And 300 turns seems like way to many with 18g. 65 turns is more likely.

Yes, For most bike I have been reading anout like the XR you want around 65 turns per pole for a grand total of 300.

Not certain where you read that but I wound my daughters XR and you only do 2 poles. Why would you mess with the ignition side windings?

I'm not going to touch the ignition windings, there are three empty poles I can sue for lighting power and since the magic number for good lighting power seems to be 300 total turns of 18 gauge wire I need to try to get 100 turns of wire on each pole. Here is the wire I plan on buying- link

$20 for a pound 18g of high heat magnet wire seems pretty good.

could you just use a external battery to run the light instead of wiring the stator? because im trying to get my z street legaled :usa::thumbsup: