Sign in to follow this  

What to do for Wheels?

So i have an 06 crf250r and it has some side wobble to the rear wheel ( I think that is a shot wheel bearing? correct me if im wrong) and it also has a few bent spokes on the rear wheel. The front wheel is in good condition tho. Should i just Get a new set of spokes? Or get new rims also, even though the rims are in good shape? Im leaning towards just saving some money and getting new spokes. but i dont want the stock rims to get bent or anything and have to replace everything again. I dont know what to do. Any advise is appreciated.

thanks

the wheel wobbles because of the spokes...get a new spoke kit first of all. take you wheel apart. put the rim on the kitchen table or something to see if its bent, if not just respoke it and its good, (the wheel can be a little bent)

the wobble isnt when i spin it though it is just pulling left and right a little bit. would that still be from the few bent spokes?

the wobble isnt when i spin it though it is just pulling left and right a little bit. would that still be from the few bent spokes?

yes, defanitly spokes! probally some loose ones too, get a spoke kit and you should be good, i had to do the same

would u recomend taking it to a shop or try doing it myself?

i recomend doing it yourslef, the shop will rape you on stuff like that, just follow directions, trueing is eayser than people talk it to be, i did mine myself if that makes you feel better haha

alright cool, i have two more questions. my front wheel spokes are in good condition so should i go ahead and do those anyways or just save money and just get the back? and also i dont have a service manuel, will it be hard without one? is there any videos on how to lace and true them?

thanks

alright cool, i have two more questions. my front wheel spokes are in good condition so should i go ahead and do those anyways or just save money and just get the back? and also i dont have a service manuel, will it be hard without one? is there any videos on how to lace and true them?

thanks

dont do the front spokes, if it aint broke dont fix it applys here. dont need a manual. its right here for you on TT , look in technical forums

do it yourself, even if it takes 5 hours, its a good skill to learn, if you get stuck and the wheel is pretty close then you can take it to a shop and if you have a good shop they will charge WAY less

alright cool ill try it myself but i am going to the dunes on the 28th, and i dont have enough time to really get the spokes here and get them on, so should the wheel be fine for about 5 days of riding in the dunes before i replace them?

You want OEM spokes or aftermarket spokes. If your looking for aftermarket spokes and We have them in stock they could be sitting on your doorstep by the end of the week and that gives you a week to figure out the installation stuff.

I am ordering up new rims and spokes for mine. My rear rim is THRASHED. Fat guys and lots of abuse with low air pressure just arent a good combo. I dont have a truing stand so i plan on relacing my wheels and having a shop tru them up for me. They quoted me about 30 bucks a wheel to true. So as long as you can get the rims laced have a shop true them up for ya. Anyhow give us a call or drop us an e-mail id be glad to see what I can do for ya.

Thats most likely a wheel bearing, not spokes (Id replace those too if they're bent/broken for safety reasons)

I highly doubt that your spokes are loose enough that you can pull your wheel to the left and right.

ok here is the deal, put your bike on a stand and move the rim with your hand side to side....watch the hub carefully, if the hub does not move but the rim does its your spokes

ty berm-saw that is exactly what happend. and will that be fine for a few days of riding in the dunes? then when i get back ill replace them.

ty berm-saw that is exactly what happend. and will that be fine for a few days of riding in the dunes? then when i get back ill replace them.

So the hub doesn't move at all, but the rim shakes? Do not ride it! If your spokes are so loose that you can shake the rim then you are asking to get badly hurt.

Today's the 16th. You can order new spokes from RMATV or TT Store and have them there by the 18th for like $5 extra in shipping.

I totally relaced and trued my front tire in less than 1 hour and it was only the second time I'd done it. (the last time I laced a rim was 27 years ago)

It's not difficult to do.

Ride with your old spokes the way they are and you're liable to get hurt or hurt someone else when your rim folds. And, you could also do a lot of damage to the bike. Play it safe when it comes to maintenance of your bike. Take car of it and it'll take care of you.

you should be able to ride but i dont reccomend it, i rode a really long time on my wobbley rim. i would try to fix it first, you dont want to ruin your trip