Sign in to follow this  

Abnormal Clutch Wear?

I recently did a bottom end on a bike that hasnt been ran in a few years. I put everything together right but it is having excessive clutch wear. Im talking like an hour of riding will wear the clutch so bad that it doesnt engage and the cable has to be adjusted to allow it to engage. Back when i pulled the cases apart, white transmission fluid came out so it did have water in the transmission. No telling how many years that water was sitting in the transmission either. The bike is a 2000 DS80 and the bottom end bearings were messed up not soon after it was bought new by running regular gas with no oil in it. It has been sitting ever since. I know the clutch plates are going to have to be replaced but I just want to figure out what is causing the excessive wear before i buy the new plates and they start wearing the same. Im almost positive its the water soaked plates but i just wanna make sure.

My guess would be the clutch is slipping, which causes it to heat up and lose all travel at the lever. You then have to adjust the lever to regain clutch. Replace the fiber and metal plates, and the springs. Make sure the basket doesn't have notches in the tangs.