Sign in to follow this  

Safari Tank & Cross-Brace

To those that have a Safari Tank - is there a trick in getting the cross-brace installed. I've read that they are not the strongest and have broken and another rider actually had to brace the brace. I'm having difficulty getting the brace from the left side of the bike (as per the instructions) over to the right side. I tried both directions and can't for the life of me figure this out. What am I doing wrong??

I bought a use one a while back and I remember having to faniggle the brace around a bit before I got it in there. It was quite a while back so I can't remember what my issue was. I had to loosen something to give me some cleance. Might have been part of my TurboCity engine protection bars. No wait, I think it was the oil cooler that I had to mess with. Yup, it was the oil cooler.

Also, I remember trying each way (left and right) and I think I finally got it in from the right. It wasn't all that hard to do. Probably no more then one beer was required. :)

I was impressed (and still am) with the tank. I think you will be happy with it. The petcocks aren't the best so I will eventually switch them to something else but it sure is nice not always stopping for fuel.

PS: when you do get the brace in, don't use locktite on the two little bolts that go into the brass bolsters in the tank. I used the blue stuff on mine before I read somewhere about that. Hopefully I won't have problems when the time comes for me to remove the tank but there is a good chance that I will.

Thanks for the oil cooler tip & yup, heard about the no locktite thing. I'm going to have to get to it next weekend.

I had a little trouble at first but take your time have a refreshing ale while you are trying and bingo it will go in. I found that mine went in from the LH side (facing forward). Try feeding in from the LH side with the tangs facing up. The tank will settle over a couplre of weeks so don't be to concerned about the clearance between the oil cooler hose and tank support bracket. Best of luck :)