Sign in to follow this  

question on changing the tire and tube

Hi,

I'm in the process of hanging my tire and tube, i got everything off already and now i need to put the new stuff in but i have a question about the tube:

when i opened the package with the tube, there were one washer and 2 bolts on the valve stem.

do the washer and bolts go on the outside of the rim? do the washer and 1 bolt stay in side and the other one will be outside?

i need some help please.

blarf

ps: it is a bridgestone HD tube

Two schools of thought:

1: NUTS go on the valve stem outside the rim (inside where the spokes are) to keep the valve stem where you put it during install and just in case it goes flat during storage. The one nut goes over the first to lock it in place.

2: NUTS don't go on the valve stem, because if the tire goes flat, the tire may pull and the valve stem will hold in place thus ripping the tire.

Me: screw it, the tire's gone flat, probably from a puncture, pinch or tear anyway, who cares?

There is only one right way to do it- one nut on the outside (if there is a nut fully tightened against the tube, leave it there) and use the nut as a locknut for the valve cap.

This way, the stem can't get sucked in if the pressure gets very low or the tire goes flat, and you can see if the tube starts to move in the rim, because you will see the valve stem move.

Tightening that nut down on the rim just guarantees that if the tube moves inside the tire (usually because the tire is slipping on the rim) you will get the stem ripped out of the tube, with no warning.

Dave

oh wow, lots of info.

i thought about putting the washer inside and both nuts outside. but if you guys advice me to do one nut inside and one outside, i'll try it.

I've only done two tube changes.

Both tubes had a nut-looking thing on the valve stem that was not removable and two nuts that came with it.

I used the two on the outside, one to sinch it down and one to lock the first one into place.

Like I said, my expectation when the tube may move inside the rim it's probably half-shot (but repairable) anyway. If it does tear, well it was half-shot to begin with and tubes are $10 so it's not a huge loss. Either way, you're going to need to remove the wheel and half the tire to fix it, either putting the stem back where it belongs or replacing the whole tube. I've never had it happen, but sometimes running on a flat will destroy the tire another thing you'll need to remove the wheel to fix.

If it was a $100 component, I'd spend a lot more time considering the possibilities on a partial failure.

washer and 1 nut inside, one nut outside.

Exactly right, and don't tighten the outside nut because if the tire slips on the rim it will tear out the valve stem.

Exactly right, and don't tighten the outside nut because if the tire slips on the rim it will tear out the valve stem.

If the nuts are both loose, why put one on the inside?

Dave

$10 tubes? where do you get those from? Maybe you can find regular tubes online for that much once in a while, but ultra heavy duty tubes are $20-30

Maybe I got lucky. The last BikeMaster tube I bought was $10.

Now granted, I'm not running the ultra heavy stuff, I don't do a lot of rocks and I don't ride at really low pressure, so if you're running 10psi, it's not the tube for you. If you can tolerate 15 it's been working for me.

The most expensive one in this list is $12.50

http://www.bikebandit.com/product/11096