Sign in to follow this  

Help, 510 overheating

Finally got to ride my Husky this week. Its in 06 TC with about 10 hrs when I got it. We rode 35 miles today on tight trails. I realize this isn't the best bike for that condition but I lost approximately 11 ozs of coolant and that was running my fan almost the whole time. I'm using the JD jet kit w/ main-180, pilot-48, red needle 5th pos. and the leak jet. Using Engine Ice, and the aluminum Y and a fan. When I drained it to put the Engine Ice in it only took about 1.5 qts, is there a way to bleed it? Also, the manual says it takes 1.8 qts (1 qt, 25 ozs) oil and with 1 qt 12 ozs it comes out the check hole, could this be right. I'll thank you ahead of time but I have to fix this overheating.:)

Don't use the check hole, IIRC it's in the wrong spot, I do frequent oil changes & use a measuring cup to fill it 1.7 liter's, always get the right amount coming out. What kind of gearing are you running for the tight trails??? did you have to slip the clutch a lot?

It came with 14-50.I believe stock is 14-47. Yes I was using the clutch quite a bit. 2nd gear mostly. It stalled quite a bit at the beginning of the ride, that's the main reason for using the clutch so much. Toward the end it wasn't so easy to stall, I guess it loosened up some.

For the tight stuff I wouldn't run anything bigger than a 13 on the front with that 50 on the rear. You have to gear it down so you can get off the clutch and just use that great motor and the overheating will not happen.

Excessive clutch use will do it. TC's are geared for MX shorter gearing will definitely help in the tight trails.

For the tight stuff I wouldn't run anything bigger than a 13 on the front with that 50 on the rear. You have to gear it down so you can get off the clutch and just use that great motor and the overheating will not happen.

:) I'll agree with that.......may not completely stop the over heating in really nasty stuff, but sure will help. On a TC, I might even think about a 52T rear with the 13 (& back to 14 as wanted)

I rarely have many overheating issues on my TE510, but still gets a bit warm and burps if I'm in temps in the 80's/90's on steep 1st gear, rocky switchbacks where I have to be on the clutch more........with the 6spd, TE 1st/2nd is lower than the TC and with 13/50 I sometimes run, or even my stock 14/50, the '05 TE overall gearing is even lower than 13/52 would be on a TC. Really helps me stay away from excess clutch abuse.

Couple things I do that seem to help a tiny bit more, in addition to what you mentioned (except I don't have a fan), is run a couple ounces of Redline Water Wetter with my Engine Ice and I wrap the head pipes with header tape. I do this mostly to save my pants from burning if I lean against the pipe, but it also reduces heat to the radiator and carb to keep fuel cooler.

Do the TC's have the coolant overflow tank?? If not, that could be nice to have.

You're right, the TC510 probably isn't the best tight trail bike, but gear it down more, let it break in a little and give yourself more time to get use to the powerband so you can stay off the clutch a bit more and my guess is things will be a lot better.

I had a TC450 with tall gearing and clutch slippage led to coolant overflow. Gear down, stay off the clutch and you'll probably eliminate 90% of your issues.

Greg