Sign in to follow this  

Notorious P.I.G goes for a desert ride (plus Teraflex Review)

Conditions were perfect out in the desert today and once we left the whooped out trails near the staging area we had a good time. I was with my friend on his KLX300.

The XR600 is not a tight trail bike especially if you're like me and 145lbs. I got smooooked in the tight sandy washes. Boo.

Here's some highlights:

The weather was fantastic, mid-50's, light rain, light breeze. It was both muddy in spots and dusty in spots. There was a little snow around the 4,000 foot mark (up from 2,500 at the staging area) but it was very ridable.

IMG_1274.jpg

This is a very snotty off camber hillclimb. It's a lot longer and steeper than the picture shows. The Teraflex chugged up this thing like it was meant to be there. 2nd gear, a little spin, and up I went. The KLX behind me was skating all over the place.

IMG_1278.jpg

Riding up this canyon sucked. The KLX ahead of me is stuck; he wedged his pegs and cases in between two rocks. We turned around at this point. IMG_1282.jpg

Initial feelings for the Teraflex: It's great in the mud, sand, and snow. It sucks on tight trails, hardpack, and in rocks. The bike seems to turn even more poorly and it seems slower but that could me my imagination.

Right now it hits the muffler and the mid-pipe. When the chain loosens up it won't hit the mid-pipe anymore. It makes the rear brake struggle to stop the tire. It's one heavy SOB.

It's kooky on pavement and seems to wander all back and forth but doesn't hum or vibrate like a knobby.

Since I got it for free I'm not out any money. Will I spend money on one? Prolly not.

"O"

"Notorious P.I.G"... That's good, I like it.

Your ride report on the Teraflex pretty much nails it, bigger isn't always better, unless you use your bike for mud bogging.

thx for the pics looks like an area i would love to hunt!!

RICK you and i need to talk brother!!

I almost went that day!!,Arrgg.Needed to work on the Company van and my old Jeep first.

It looks like perfect dirt..The vintage bike show and rally is next weekend.Too many bikes not enough weekends.

Denn.. it is a popular hunting area,but very large.The 25 years i've been riding there I seldom see game,only wild horses.Then again never gone just to hunt.

I almost went that day!!,Arrgg.Needed to work on the Company van and my old Jeep first.

It looks like perfect dirt..The vintage bike show and rally is next weekend.Too many bikes not enough weekends.

Denn.. it is a popular hunting area,but very large.The 25 years i've been riding there I seldom see game,only wild horses.Then again never gone just to hunt.

Come out with me. Yesterday we ran into a heard of 50 then 75 mule deer in one draw and another dozen or so in the next one. It was like a clould's shadow moving over the hillside; I've never seen so many wild animals in one herd in me life. Plenty of wild horses too but they seem to be smarter and keep their distance.

A few years ago a wolf came to visit me when I was stopped in the middle of the trail. Sometimes those deer-like animals with curly horns that bounce make an appearance too.

"O"