Best tires for single track

it dosent matter if its single track or moto track best to check the manufacturer charts.

im personally having a lot of rear tyre problems but am fixated on the pirelli scorpion front.

is it normally hard pack or nice and loamy??

im sorry i dont have the actual answer i dont have experience with the SI's who makes them??

Maxxis makes the SI.

What psi are you running and have you experimented with a pound this way or that way?

it dosent matter if its single track or moto track best to check the manufacturer charts.

im personally having a lot of rear tyre problems but am fixated on the pirelli scorpion front.

is it normally hard pack or nice and loamy??

im sorry i dont have the actual answer i dont have experience with the SI's who makes them??

+1

I did make the mistake of trying the Scorpion Pro XT...quite possibly one of the most vague feeling/tracking tires I've used. Of course this is for my riding style and terrain. But the non-XT Scorpion Pro is a fantastic, confidence-inspiring tread.

Cost is an issue. Hence the Maxxis SI and IT as great alternatives. To the original poster, I asked my friend about his SI. Said he loved the price and the performance until the knobs lose their sharp edge. Of course most tires go from great when new to mediocre when used. But he said he'd use the SI and IT regularly and feel confident both would give at least a "very good" rating in 90% of conditions. That's better than most tires.

where you ride is everything when it comes to tires. when i ran IT's, i couldn't get it off my bike fast enough. i think they're junk. but that's because of where i ride. mud, wet rocks, roots. they just didn't do the job. they use a very hard rubber compound for good wear but not good stick. that's not to say they aren't the best for where you ride. if you want to try something else (and the price won't choke you) try one of the radial trials tires. dunlop, irc and michelin make good tires. run nine pounds of air.

where you ride is everything when it comes to tires. when i ran IT's, i couldn't get it off my bike fast enough. i think they're junk. but that's because of where i ride. mud, wet rocks, roots. they just didn't do the job. they use a very hard rubber compound for good wear but not good stick. that's not to say they aren't the best for where you ride. if you want to try something else (and the price won't choke you) try one of the radial trials tires. dunlop, irc and michelin make good tires. run nine pounds of air.

I tried tellin' them.:banghead: I have a practically new IT in the attic that I will give away. :banghead:

I was a dedicated WR owner for 3 years, loved that bike.? You will also notice I was active in the WR forum, starting the jetting database thread. If you can get by the sissy look of the TT, you will not be disappointed. I have converted several of my friends to the Dunlop radial D803.

I run a michelin SG12 or S12, can't remember, and for the single track here in BC it is by far superior to the guys i ride with running Maxxis tires. Since i've had the bike, 2 of my buddies have worn out a Maxxis, and you can barely tell my tire is used. hooks up well in all kinds of wet and muddy conditions yet breaks loose when i want it to. But i do agree with the above, where you ride and the terrain should determine your tire choice. but the more i read, the more i am leaning towards a trials tire for my next rear. a few guys out on our trails run them, and they seem to get anywhere we can, with little or no wear on the tire.

my .02

Michelin S12 on front M12:thumbsup: on back the S12's definitely grip the best but a s12 rear will wear out in 1 or 2 rides on hard pack I ruined one on a XR 250 in 6-8 hours of riding a WR would kill it. But the M12 still grips very good and has a good bit more wear

Michelin has new S12 and M12 tires that wear longer and grip better.

Named Michelin S12 XC & M12 XC.

Two Great Tires, Made Even Better

Every aspect of Michelin® XC-series tires has been designed to

maximize traction. Now a new rear rubber mixture improves durability

by at least 25% compared with previous versions. Redesigned casing

construction helps improve traction, feedback and feel, and speeds

warm-up time. The new S12 XC™ tire is highly versatile and excels in a

variety of terrain, while the new M12 XC™ tire is ideal for intermediate

terrain.

• Reformulated rubber mixture improves durability by

at least 25%, compared with previous MICHELIN® tires

• improved grip compared with previous MICHELIN® tires,

thanks to new rear tread compound and changes in casing

design

• Redesigned tire structure incorporates an additional

casing ply under the tread, which helps improve flexibility of

the tread area. This in turn improves feedback, traction and

warm-up time.

• Thicker sidewalls in the bead area help increase lateral

rigidity, further improving feedback and performance.

• proven, championship-winning tread designs

remain unchanged from original S12™ and M12™ tires

Just to throw a wrench in the works...

I'm not a fan of the D803 trials tire for all-around riding. It works very well on tight, rocky singletrack. And straight-line traction is excellent. But at higher speeds it is dangerous. It has a vague feel in corners, and if you push it hard it will roll completely over causing a sudden and total loss of traction, which has put me on the ground a few times with no warning. This was at 11 PSI...at 8 or 9 the rollover is much more exaggerated. You are in California on dry soil, so I'm assuming you are riding some higher speed terrain where this could be an issue. Just something to consider.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the Dunlop D756's? Those are by far my favorite tires for both the track and trails down here in Texas. They handle sand, mud, and hard pack with ease. They also have a pretty good life expectancy.

I would also like to check out the new Dunlop MX31's and MX51's.

Chris

I had been running the S12/M12 combo front and rear and was pretty happy. Then I talked to a Pirelli rep and he talked me into a mid/hard rear and an MXMS front and WOW what a difference! The edge grip on the rear is MUCH better and really drive out more forward rather than sideways like the M12 rear liked to do. The front has quite a bit better feel too, and I feel like I saved it a few times where I think I would have normally crashed on the michelins. FWIW, the michelins were not all that worn when I took it off so it wasn't just the 'new tire feel' haha. After a 2 hour hare scramble with some pretty high speed stuff they look basically new so I think they will hold up great. NTM, they are WAY easier to mount!

-Nick

I tried tellin' them.? I have a practically new IT in the attic that I will give away. :usa:

I was a dedicated WR owner for 3 years, loved that bike.? You will also notice I was active in the WR forum, starting the jetting database thread. If you can get by the sissy look of the TT, you will not be disappointed. I have converted several of my friends to the Dunlop radial D803.

I know what you mean, these have to be the worst tires in mud, they just slick up. I like them for everything else, and I'm sort of stuck with them untill there worn. I want to look into that new GeoMax tire. Any body know anything about it?

CACRanger, The 756 is a good tire until the edges wear, then they get a little vague. I'm having good luck with a Starcross Michelin on the front and MS12 on rear is wet winter conditions. Now that its dried out a lot, I was looking for a replacement rear and found the Perelli on sale for ....$49 so I snagged one for a try.