Sign in to follow this  

04 WR250F stock 13 /52 gearing

My stock gearing to to low in Frist and to high in 3rd to let the motor work in it's torque band at the speed I ride in tight single track.

My goal is to have it work harder in 2nd.

Has anyone try'ed a 12 /52 set up?

If so, will I be OK with the stock 520 chain length?

I ran the 12/52 combo for 4 years without any problem. You can use the stock chain length, no worries.

AV, Thank You. Did this combo take a lot of top speed out?

Probably lost about 7-10 mph but the low-end snap is what I was looking for along with a lower 2nd gear. It still topped out at around 75 mph or so - way too fast for the woods anyway... You'll only miss your top speed on wide open roads. At 75 mph it was still faster than the stock YZFs.

I ran the 12/52 combo for 4 years without any problem. You can use the stock chain length, no worries.

I'm glad to hear that. I just picked up a 12 and will check it out this weekend. Also do more wooded type riding and found the stock setup abit high.

I just changed my 04 WR250F to 12/52. It definitely gives the low-end gearing you're looking for. I have tried it twice out on the dunes. I can now ride the whoops and most of the dunes in 3rd and 4th, instead of 2nd and 3rd with an occasional 4th.

However, something to think about: I was looking here on thumbertalk and came across a thread that stated a smaller front puts more stress on the rear suspension. The thread suggested increasing the back when and/or where possible.

I am staying with my 12/52 as it is the gearing I'm looking for when riding technical single track.

Hope this helps.