Sign in to follow this  

Took a swim with my bike today!

So without getting into too many details, I ended up going down in a waist high puddle today and my bike sucked in mud through the intake:bonk: . There was also water that entered through the exhaust pipe. The bike shut off before I could hit the killswitch. The bike would NOT start in the trails, but I didn't try starting it for long. Just a few kicks. When I got home I took the spark plug out, and with the bike upside down, cranked the starter a few times. Not much came out. I also drained the oil, it was milky so there was definitely water in the oil. I've ran 5 quarts through so far with cheap oil. I'll be picking up new yamalube and an oil filter tomorow. Is there anything else I should do before I try and start it again? I really don't want to mess up my bike.

So without getting into too many details, I ended up going down in a waist high puddle today and my bike sucked in mud through the intake:bonk: . There was also water that entered through the exhaust pipe. The bike shut off before I could hit the killswitch. The bike would NOT start in the trails, but I didn't try starting it for long. Just a few kicks. When I got home I took the spark plug out, and with the bike upside down, cranked the starter a few times. Not much came out. I also drained the oil, it was milky so there was definitely water in the oil. I've ran 5 quarts through so far with cheap oil. I'll be picking up new yamalube and an oil filter tomorow. Is there anything else I should do before I try and start it again? I really don't want to mess up my bike.
what kind of bike is it ?

Start it quick before it rusts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don

Dont forget to blow your cylinder out with an air crompressor.

I would say a little marvel mystery oil into the cylinder to protect the walls. You did fine by running a couple of quarts of oil through. Next time you run it hot, kill the engine and pull the valve cover off to release any residual moisture that may have accumulated through condensation. I would also pull your can off and make sure the packing is dry and not compressed and release any moisture from the low spot of your pipe.

My 2cents...

I would say a little marvel mystery oil into the cylinder to protect the walls. You did fine by running a couple of quarts of oil through. Next time you run it hot, kill the engine and pull the valve cover off to release any residual moisture that may have accumulated through condensation. I would also pull your can off and make sure the packing is dry and not compressed and release any moisture from the low spot of your pipe.

My 2cents...

Thanks for your input. I did remove the exhaust and drain the water from there. There was a lot of water in the header. I have an old T-4 pipe I can throw on there until the stock pipe dries out. I don't have any oil in the bike now though, and I've been running 10w40 since I've owned the bike. Should I put 10w30 in (the only oil I have in the house) or do you think it'd be fine overnight?

I would think you've cleaned your carb? and as someone above said "Everything" intake?

yeah def put some oil in it before you let it set over night. even if you ran 5 quarts through it bare metal rusts too easy. better safe than sorry. make sure the valves are not warped before you start it. due to the water possibly cooling them rapidly.

I ran a 4-wheeler in high water and it suck water in the intake warping the valves like no other

how didd you get ur bike upside down? lol

Well the puddle was just deep enough to submerge my bike lol. I crossed it a few times with no problems but the final time I passed through it, my front tire went to the left and my back tire went to the right. It felt like there was a tree root underwater, but it happened so fast I had no time to react. My helmet filled with water and mud too. Just the worst way to end a ride.

Dirt bikes are for dirt

if you wanna go in the water buy a boat :)

I would think you've cleaned your carb? and as someone above said "Everything" intake?

I'll have to do that, I wasnt sure if it was absolutely necessary or not. My filter seemed to stop alot of the mud. It was heavily oiled.

Dirt bikes are for dirt

if you wanna go in the water buy a boat :banghead:

I have a boat :) The trails were just really flooded today.

Hopefully you got it running last night and didn't let it sit overnight with water in the cylinder and head . 10w30 would be alot better than no oil !

Most likely some sand entered with the water and you may be looking at a replate if you cylinder is plated or boring it out. Hopefully you'll be lucky and your bike fell in clean water.

I was able to get my bike started this morning after 20 minutes of kicking. But it has a horrible bog now, it will only run on idle. When I try to give it any gas it stalls immediately. Any ideas?