Sign in to follow this  

Cleaning your white YZF

I bet this has come up a lot in various posts, but I searched and came up with nothing. I have a few questions on how to get the dirt/mud/tar/and other nasty stuff off my bike. My shroud plastics are stained and I tried the sit and soak technique and I even tried Soft Scrub with Bleach. What would you recommend to get the stains out? Also there is tar on my frame's down-tube and I can't get it off. Also what do you guys use to get the aluminum back to the "showroom" look? One more thing; the black air box plastics... well they aren't black anymore... kinda brownish... What would you all do there?

Gas will be rewarded with any INSIGHTFUL information :)

Thanks,

J_Mad18

I take mine to the pressure washer after every ride. I know what you mean about the stains on the shrouds. Ive tried everything even break cleaner. I was able to remove the stains of mud from the parts of the shrouds that arent covered with stickers, by using bleach and scrubbing real hard. Only thing thats dirty about my white YZF are the stock white shroud graphics. :)

• Like 1

My graphics haven't gone yet. I just rubbed the paint on the side of my cases last weekend. But my bike looks like hell haha. thanks man

I had that tar-like stuff on my downtube also. I actually didn't know how to get it off either an then i rode one day and it went away and it made it look like it was polished up in that spot. If your plastics are stained and you can't get it out, then i would buy a new set of plastics and put a graphic kit on that covers most of the shroud. Have you tried simple green and other products like that? I have never heard/seen of a brown airbox. Scrub it out with some WD and see what that does. Try simple green and other products like i mentioned for your plastics. If that doesn't work, then i think you'll need a new airbox unless you feel like coloring it with a sharpie. If so, get some airbox decals as well. I have also heard that the Mr. Clean eraser pens clean up the shrouds pretty good. Never tried myself but thats what the word on the street is. :)

• Like 1

I use greased lightening it works pretty well to get the stains off the plastic. There were a few tough spots that I used some citrus cleaner on and that took most of it right off. That Mr. Clean eraser sponge sounds like a good idea ill have to try that next time.

• Like 1

Apparently tooth paste works wonders for cleaning the white plastics, thats what my friend that owns the Yamaha dealer here says. He cleans his white YFZ450 quad with it.

Worth a try.

spraying "wesly's beach white" (car wash tire cleaner) and a green/yellow scrubby seems to work for the white number plates so i wouldnt think it would be any diff

• Like 1

A Mr Clean Magic Eraser after washing with Dawn dish soap works mint! It dulls it a bit but the white will come out like new.

• Like 1

Don't know if this will be any use to ya as i dont own a white bike myself, but have you tried wax and grease remover (prepsol) as used for cleaning body panels before painting??? might be worth a shot...

• Like 1

I just try to hose my bike off before I put it away but I've also put turtle wax ice on there a couple times and Im hoping that will keep the dirt from staining as easily. I normal hose it off then just be sure to wipe it down with a rag so theres no dirt or residue left over that you cant see. I think its just an issue of the amount of time you leave the dirt sitting on your plastics so try to clean it after your rides, dont have to completely scrub it down just hose it off then run a rag over the plastics.

• Like 1

I would always clean my stains off my white YFZ450 with a Mr. Clean magic eraser. Worked well for me, even if I culd never get the stains completely off.

• Like 1

A Mr Clean Magic Eraser after washing with Dawn dish soap works mint! It dulls it a bit but the white will come out like new.

They get off scuff marks and clean great!!!

Chris

• Like 1

Thanks for all the great replies! I'll have to try this stuff.

Thanks for all the great replies! I'll have to try this stuff.

Hey man, i actually just used toothpaste right now. I used it on my number plates and my frame and it got everyhting sparkling clean. I also used it on my old practice boots that were stained yellow an it mostly came right off. Boots were a little tricky, but the toothpaste works good for the frame and the numberplates so i can't see why it wouldn't work on your plastics. I took some before and after pictures with my cell also, so if you want i can post them up. I didn't get any of my number plates but got some of my boots and my frame. :)

Try mother's "back to black" on the airbox. I have never used it before but it is intended to turn black plastic black again.