Sign in to follow this  

clutch hub nut removal revisited

Searched the posts and many have their methods, all of which I have tried. Tried to tap the ratchet with a mallet, tried a breaker bar with bike in highest gear and front wheel pushed to wall, tried shoving a pipe in between the rear sprocket and swing arm with the above methods, and tried a medium duty impact wrench....I guess I have to resort to a heavy duty type impact? any quick tips appreciated.

Just curious is there a locking tab washer and did you flatten it down if there is?

I've always just done mine with an impact wrench and 6 side socket. Never had any trouble busting it loose :)

no separate locking washer...looks like it is the kind of nut with a built in conical washer of some sort (all one piece). All i want to do is check the dreaded idle gear...my kick start was acting kind of weird when i last kicked it, and i don't want to take any chances.

Mines just a nut with built on washer, I just bump it a few times with the impact and it spins off easy. And bump it a few times to put it back on. Theres no real stress on the bolt seeing as the clutch sits on a splined shaft.