Sign in to follow this  

470 - first dirt ride report

All SM tracks around here are still closed so I put the dirt wheels on and hit a local MX track today.

This was my first dirt ride with the 470 kicker motor and a third ride on knobbies overall. I mostly ride on-road or on SM tracks but I had a blast!

Dirt definitely takes some time getting used to. After about an hour, I was zipping around pretty quickly. The 470 has tons of power pulls like a horse everywhere. I let a couple of my friends ride it and all of them were shocked how quick the Z was. Most of them said the power was equal to their 450 MX bikes. Then I brought up that tomorrow, I'll put the tail light back on and go get some groceries on it :)

Last week, I was noticing that the clutch was slipping on pavement at WOT but it wasn't noticeable in dirt. I'll be probably putting some HD springs in it soon.

Anyway, I'm happy I got the bike a little dirty today and that I got to ride in such amazing weather. Hope winter is finally over.

Here's a few pics:

3358612362_bef04b045f_o.jpg

3358612140_2d41000254_o.jpg

3358612012_1708d38bb3_o.jpg

3357794369_c549a32f89_o.jpg

hey i got to ask what head light do you have on there

'08 KLX450R

Is that a DRZ400SM 470 upgraded. Or is this a non enduro by Suzuki.

Man those rims and tires make that bike look awesome. I want to put dirt tires and dirt rims on my DRZ400SM not just switch out rubber. Is this possible have you done it with this bike.

Is there like a big amount of work because you have to change disk breaks and calibers from an SM to a dirt bike or you don't have to change them. What did you do for this look?

The bike started life as an S model. You can look in my garage for all mods.

Putting dirt wheels on the SM is super easy. It's a direct bolt-on to be exact.

My dirt wheels are actually off an RM bike so the rear required some tweaking as the hub is narrower than the DRZ hub. S or E model wheels will be a direct bolt-on. It's nice to have two sets of rotors and sprockets, too. Hope that helps :)

Bike is killer! You did a great job, looks or is lighter than a E model, with the kicker motor, and the shorty yosh looks cool. Doing the turkey baster mod really cleans up the swingarm and shock look.

Thanks!

Eddie installed new valves, degreed my cams and massaged the Athena piston. I did the rest.

The bike is definitely lighter than the E model. I'm still on a lookout for a plastic tank though. That's why my graphics don't match.

The pipe I have on now is a stock Ti Yosh TRS. It will most likely get a shortened GSX-R muffler soon.

I used to have one on it but just recently sold it to make room for the Ti system. I'm planning on putting together a Ti TRS header+midpipe and a carbon GSX-R TRS muffler.

3310419650_8a95c550e4.jpg3309590835_d2dcebfcb4.jpg

What is an RM and was is an E bike and a S bike? What about tweeking what did you exactly do to get the front tire on, have t explain to dealer because they might after ordering say hey it doesn't fit sorry. Again great looking bike the best I found on here for a DRZ love the inverted fork look of the SM on a dirt bike setup.

That is a great looking DRZ, and having that much power in the dirt must be a blast. Good for you!

What is an RM and was is an E bike and a S bike? What about tweeking what did you exactly do to get the front tire on, have t explain to dealer because they might after ordering say hey it doesn't fit sorry. Again great looking bike the best I found on here for a DRZ love the inverted fork look of the SM on a dirt bike setup.

RM is a 2-stroke Suzuki MX bike.

Forget your dealer. Look in the classifieds or on eBay for a used set of DRZ dirt wheels :)

The bike is definitely lighter than the E model. I'm still on a lookout for a plastic tank though. That's why my graphics don't match.

I see that you have a metall tank but you have this pipe on the gas cap , what is this for ? I know why plastic tank have them but why and how did you installed it ? A friend of mine want to install a pipe like this in his steel tank , i would appreciate if you tell me how you did it !

I drilled out the tank cap lock and plugged the hole with a piece of rubber with a vent hose.

It wasn't for the weight savings, I simply lost my ignition key :)

-Mini-hijack-

Anyone know where can i get that TRS endcap?

I like it better then the TRC endcap.

Dongie that bike is COOL.