Sign in to follow this  

high speed compression damping adjuster

on the rear shock on my 06 crf 250 theres the high speed and low speed adjuster.

when adjusting the high speed how much do you have to turn it to advance a position??? because it doesnt click like the other ones.

im guessing one position is to just turn it 360 degrees so its aligned again the the mark???!!??

some good help would be greatly appreciated thanks!!!!:)

1/8 to 1/6th turns are usually enough to notice.

The high speed isn't really a high speed...however it more so fine tunes where your low speed is at IMHO.

Start with a highspeed position at 1 3/4 turns out, ie turn the 14mm screw completely clockwise and then 1 3/4 turns out (ccw).

As harperff already said, already minor turns do have a noticeable effect.

Highspeed stands for the velocity of the shaft (shaft movement), not, how fast you[/] are riding.

IMHO = in my humble opinion

Dear Smart Suspension Tuners !!

Educate me more on the hi-speed compression adjuster. I understand the low-speed is a needle/orifice that controls the amount of bleed. However, i am not real sure how the high-speed adjuster works. In fact, i've never spent much time adjusting mine.

How does it's adjustment differ from low-speed compression adjuster?

What changes will i feel ?

I tend to adjust my low-speed to achieve a certain feel in braking bumps. What situations would i want to adjust the hi-speed for ??

Thanks all !!

high speed is stuff like choppy harsh bumps of a decent size, anything you can imagine will move the suspension really fast, landings are pretty low speed in comparison, however the high speed adjuster is not perfect at doing this speed range, i would think more mid speed would be a better name, people tend to use it as a chassis altitude adjuster as it works well at this, it works by having a beffy spring on the shim stack on the compression adjuster, when the hit is hard enough it moves the shim stack off the piston face and allows the oil to go past the shims.If you fully crank the adjuster down it will hardly allow any oil past the shims apart from the shims bending.

From the factory the high speed nut on my DR-Z is turned in somewhere around half closed and it makes the rear ride like crap. I opened mine about 1/8th turn from all the way open and it made a huge difference in the ride.

I think of it in terms of an adjustable popoff valve. When pressures suddenly increase too quickly it releases fluid to bladder area.

So are people adjusting the high-speed comp for braking/acceleration bumps ? And the low-speed more for jump landings ?

I feel dumb that i've never really adjusted my high-speed compression adjuster. I'll have to try some different settings soon :)