Sign in to follow this  

06 YZ250 pinging stock jetting pro circuit pipe and silencer...

I just picked up an 06 YZ250 and I think its pinging..I was just thinking about pinging about a week ago and how I've probably heard it before but never recognized it...Well when running the bike before I bought it I noticed what I thought was pinging...and it pings at idle..(I read in MXA if you have a perfectly jetted stock YZ and put a pro circuit pipe on it, it will ping, confirming my suspicions)...Its got a pro circuit pipe and spark arrestor/silencer on it with stock jetting (I just checked jetting they're stock) I pulled the FMF factory fatty off my other bike and threw it on there and was wondering if it will still ping..Will the FMF reduce the pinging or do I need to rejet? I have no experience with pinging...I dont wanna retard the timing if possible...Im also gonna get some fresh gas and good oil for it too...Should I go a little leaner on the jets or stay stock for now? (Im at sea level btw)

Thanks for the help guys and pics to come...

You'll have to go richer if you want to stop the pinging with jetting alone.

If anything, based on my experience, the fmf pipe will ping worse than the pc if you do nothing at all.

Try not to let the jetting or timing mods bother you. They do sound scary at first, but become second nature after a time or two. There is a lot of performance in the timing mod (free) or jetting mods (20.00) compared to 250.00 pipes that may actually cost performance.

You might only need to set your timing to stock specs. Mine was a little off from the factory. I would love to go back and see if this took care of the pinging I had. I cured it going some other directions, but this may have been the easiest, fastest and cheapest.

Needle jet lower the clip and raise the needle richen up. Third position stopped the pinging in my 08 two fiddy.

You could try the N3EW needle over the stock N3EJ that the 06's came with, or play with the timing 1st like RCnnon suggested and see if it solves the problem. MXA also suggested the richer N3EW needle to combat pinging, but you could help alot of people out if you do the leg work on the timing:thumbsup:

and it pings at idle

I don't know how this could be possible. If it pings at idle you have a diesel engine. I imagine it would melt down in seconds under power.

Are you sure its a ping and not just something rattling, like the pipe at the attatment point or springs rattling on the pipe.

Maybe its a rattle in the pipe, that has been confirmed a couple times as being a ping like sound.

Or pehaps the timing is off big time! Read the timing sticky and check it out.