Sign in to follow this  

No More Lake Houser

Ok do the staff at the mideast race today said they were cancelling the race at Lake Houser and that there is no more riding there either....This sucks if you ask me...

Lets all say thanks to the Liberal county commisioners and the stupid neighbors that dont have anything better to do than complain about a little noise:foul:

I don't think it is Kelly,

look more like stodgy, 'ol stick in the mud conservatives to me.:banghead:

http://www.clevelandcounty.com/nav/county_commissioners.htm

End result sucks either way.

(that oughtener stir it up :) )

Im just passing on what Sheila at the mideast told me...She said no more racing and riding there...She said the owner will ge a big fine and go to jail...

I hope it isnt true cause we are running out of places to ride...If anyone knows for sure please speak up...

Seems like it's been back and forth for awhile.

The animosity towards us from all factions still just amazes me.

You'd think they would approve of any revenue producing business

for the county.

When I heard that the wheels thru time museum was moving away

from Maggie Valley because of all the hassles and being told it didn't

"fit in w/ the (existing) community" the prejudges are so clear and so deep.

WHY???:)

I will scoot down there in a little while and see if there are any signs posted. It would not surprise me if it were true....not at all. It is easier/more acceptable to be a meth head these days than a dirt bike rider

If I owned a place for riding ( Brushy mountain, Lake Houser etc.... ) I would not allow people to ride there with opened up exhaust on their four stroke quads and bikes. That is what is extremely loud, the two strokes are much quieter. The noise would bother me too if I lived near a trail system and had to hear uncorked thumpers all day long.

absolutely right

These days, loud bikes are our own worst enemy...and loud quads are even worse. THE loudest machine I have ever seen at housers (possibly the loudest single cyl. four stroke of any kind that I have ever heard anywhere) was a Honda Rincon 4x4 ATV....it had a mufler on it but it sounded like a straight pipe and as I was standing there draining a mudhole with a shovel, I heard him coming for a long time...he was probably a half mile away when I first heard him

There has to be room for compromise...wether the housers are interested in compromising and then policeing the trails I dont know

I'm sorry to hear this. I've never ridden there but sad to see another area close.

While I am with you 100% on the loud exhausts, I don't think quiet exhausts will change anything. Noise is just what is working for them right now. If not noise, then erosion, emissions, nesting snail darters, or injuries or whatever they can do to stop us from having fun.

Ok guys this is not true... Lake Houser is still open to the public to ride on. They are having problems and getting lots of bad complaints from people living around there due to noise and some riders not staying on the Houser's property and venturing off onto other's lands. As far as the hair scrambles and races planned down there for this year, i do believe that has been canceled or at least been put on hold. But lake Houser is NOT CLOSED and you CAN still ride down there. The Shelby Star did do a write up about it was shut down, but that was a bunch of B.S. that the paper came up with. My source of information is 100% accurate, so no worries. Lake Houser is still open for riding!

Ok guys this is not true... Lake Houser is still open to the public to ride on. They are having problems and getting lots of bad complaints from people living around there due to noise and some riders not staying on the Houser's property and venturing off onto other's lands. As far as the hair scrambles and races planned down there for this year, i do believe that has been canceled or at least been put on hold. But lake Houser is NOT CLOSED and you CAN still ride down there. The Shelby Star did do a write up about it was shut down, but that was a bunch of B.S. that the paper came up with. My source of information is 100% accurate, so no worries. Lake Houser is still open for riding!

Thats great to hear! I may still go Wed,but I think it may be too wet..

Kelly

great news. it pays to know people I guess...to get the real scoop! They do need to do something about the loud bikes/quads. The county will not put up with loud quad/bike complaints forever.

Well its good to hear that I was wrong or better yet that mideast was wrong, but we're still not racing there which sucks..

dang we need to do something to save this place....i dont know what though...

dang we need to do something to save this place....i dont know what though...

One thing you could do is report people you see riding in NON-designated areas or at least have a personal talk (in a nice way) with them about not riding where there not suppose to be! This and the noise are the two biggest complaints they have right now.

Several TT members were there a couple of months ago. We mistakenly went where we shouldnt have been.It was our first time there. None of us would have gone there, if the trails were marked. Correct me if Im wrong, but the outer bounderies of the park are not well marked? There is also no trail map available? Perhaps we could get together a TT members and do some trail maitnence for them?

Kelly

as far as I know the boundaries of the park are not marked at all. I just assumed it was the creek on one side and the dirt road on the other

Yeh, you guys are correct the trails aren't marked that well, but i think the problems are coming in when you do get to the property lines at certain spots other land owners have "no trespassing" signs up and i've personally seen people ignore the signs and ride straight through. I would be more then happy to meet any of you down there some time to show ya where you can and can not ride as i only live about 20 minutes from there and use to go there all the time to ride before the "Bubba's" in there big 4x4 trucks and these big 4wheelers with big tires were going down there soo much and destroying a lot of the trails. But just let me know if ya'll wanna meet up one Saturday or Sunday to ride down there!

as far as I know the boundaries of the park are not marked at all. I just assumed it was the creek on one side and the dirt road on the other

Myself,Goosedog,motocycle2,orangecrush,and couple other non TT members crossed the creek at the end of the powerlines. Then continued into someones back yard...If had been marked we would not have crossed the creek!

Kelly

yeh that's basically it, but there is a trail that was cut that is real close to the dirt road side that most people don't know is there and is easy to miss while riding.