Sign in to follow this  

A couple ?'s

Hey I've been looking around this site and trying to search it but haven't found an answer.

My ?'s is my friend has an 02 yamaha yz250f he's selling for 1800.

I first would like to know is that an ok price.

Next is it hasn't had any top or bottom work done yet. I don't know how long they go before they need work? I do know its a little bit of money to change all that.

It looks nice from the outside. Starts good and sounds good rides good. I'm just scared to buy it and then have to put lots of money into it.

What do you guys think?

Sorry if this should have been some where else. But any help would be really nice.

Hey I've been looking around this site and trying to search it but haven't found an answer.

Next is it hasn't had any top or bottom work done yet. I don't know how long they go before they need work? I do know its a little bit of money to change all that.

It looks nice from the outside. Starts good and sounds good rides good. I'm just scared to buy it and then have to put lots of money into it.

What do you guys think?

Sorry if this should have been some where else. But any help would be really nice.

No you posted it exactly where you should have. Its hard to say how long the engine will last. That is an older bike and if its never been rebuild before I would guess its going to need some work soon. I have a friend selling an 04 YZ250F for $1500.00. I just rebuilt it for him last year and its been ridden maybe 10 times since then. $1800.00 seems a bit high to me for a 2002. Sorry not trying to dog on your friend. :)

this might sound stupid but im just wondering did it have an hour meter??

how many times has the owner adjust the valves??

I rebuilt my 02 in 2006 and even thought it was running good it had alot of hours on it. Splitting the case found a bad oil pump and the main bearings were getting bad. If I had not rebuilt it, I would have not made it another two years.

That being said, I would not by a used 250F with any motor work being done or with out plans to do it yourself.

Talk to the shops in the area and find out what i would cost to split the engine cases and replace the crank. Subtract that cost from the asking price of $1800.00 and have the motor rebuilt.

Thanks everyone for your help. I was kind of thinking it was high and not worth it. Thanks

It will be a great bike. My friend just sold his for 1800. He had it for 4 years an litterally beat the living $hit out of it. The only thing he did was put an 03 cam in it. Never did a thing to the valves, just chnaged the oil an airfilter regularly.

What do you guys think?

I have a rule to never to buy a used vehicle from friends nor family. I have seen it destroy good friendships/relationships. Just my 2 cents.