Sign in to follow this  

hole in the sidewall

hey i have a hole in the wall of my side wall on my back right tire(it a 4 wheeler) i put a plug in it but i heard it wont hold up very well does anyone know how to have a more permanant fix?

Sidewall repairs don't always work the best due to the amount of flexing and abrasion a side wall gets. It could hold, it probably won't (over the life of the tire).

On an auto, side wall repairs are a definite no-go deal.

On an ATV, I have fixed small punctures (small nail hole) in sidewalls using a plug-patch (a patch that has a plug permanently affixed to it's face), and worked well....dad's still puttering around on that ten years later. If that didn't hold, I was going to put a tube in there, but still holding air.

a simple plug probably won't hold for the life of the tire, the sidewall will flex, and it'll work itself out.

You could do that or use shoe goo!

work it in all around and into the hole and then insert your plug and then put summore shoe goo around it.

ok guys thanks i will try that, but i dont really use the 4 wheeler for high speed its just to play around in the mud

ok guys now i have a new problem. I found a plug but it has to be put on from the inside of the tire. well i was trying to break the bead yesterday. i tried everything but the car trick. but i had 2 wood clamps on the tire and it broke some of the bead and i tried to take the tire off and it broke my tire iron, does anyone have any idea how to break a bead on a 4 wheeler tire?

ok guys now i have a new problem. I found a plug but it has to be put on from the inside of the tire. well i was trying to break the bead yesterday. i tried everything but the car trick. but i had 2 wood clamps on the tire and it broke some of the bead and i tried to take the tire off and it broke my tire iron, does anyone have any idea how to break a bead on a 4 wheeler tire?

Here's what I have done with success-don't be in a hurry.

Start by airing the tire completely down by removing the valve core.

Get some really strong penetrating oil (I like PB Blaster), and soak the rim-rubber junction point all the way around, both beads, and let it set for a day. Soak it down every time you walk by.

Tomorrow, get a 2x8 piece of lumber that's about 2-3 ft long, and place it so that it's just short of touching the metal part of the rim, and laying down like a ramp. It works best if you have a spotter for this part. Now, drive your vehicle up the ramp, which will put pressure on the bead....you may have to rotate the rim and do this all the way around before it does "pop", but it does work....I've used this with success on 20 yr old ATV rims with the OEM tires on them.

You just have to be patient, and no matter how strong the urge is, DO NOT even THINK about swinging the sledge hammer-it'll just bounce off the tire and into something expensive or you'll wind up hitting the rim (more expense).

If you have the bead partially broken, then the worst part is already over. Be sure it isn't one of those "one way" rims, where you have to take the tire off a certain side.

It's tough to get a side wall repair to hold because of the flexing of the side wall. Even if you put a tube in it, the flexing of the side wall, tends to make the tire bite a hole in the tube, mainly from the friction. If the tire is tubeless, you might try a goofy redneck repair, a bolt and a couple of fender washers with some rtv. I fixed a lawn mower tire with a sheetmetal screw and rtv once. It might be worth a try if it's an expensive tire.

It's tough to get a side wall repair to hold because of the flexing of the side wall. Even if you put a tube in it, the flexing of the side wall, tends to make the tire bite a hole in the tube, mainly from the friction. If the tire is tubeless, you might try a goofy redneck repair, a bolt and a couple of fender washers with some rtv. I fixed a lawn mower tire with a sheetmetal screw and rtv once. It might be worth a try if it's an expensive tire.

That's why you do the plug-patch, then the tube.....this prevents any damaged/rough edges of the tire from "chewing" on the tube.:)

This is what I'm talking about:

fig_3.jpg

Any large lawn mower dealer or atv dealer should have tubes and a tire machine I work at a John Deere dealer we charge $10.00 labor and 6 to 8 dollars for the tube. People just don't think of implement dealers .

I break them down by hand. I have a bead breaker tool that I use with a sledge hammer, but before I go to swinging a sledge on that thing, I get the tire and wheel on the ground and stand on it and work my feet around the edge of the bead to work the tire bead away from the rim a little. That helps me get the head of that breaker in place. It makes the work much easier.