Sign in to follow this  

Air Filter Question...

Does anyone whats the best way to clean a air filter?

Thanks for your time.

-250x-:)

gas, diesel, kerosene, laundry soap, oxyclean, engine degreaser, kitchen sink, parts cleaner, bucket, laundromat..... they've all been discussed here many times try using the search feature.

• Like 1

Chemicals like gas, parts cleaner, etc. can deteriorate the glues that hold the air filter together. I use an air filter cleaner and let it soak for about 15 minutes. After that, I rinse it off, and put in a bucket of soapy warm water. Wash it out, rinse and dry. After it has dried, re-coat it with filter oil and you're ready to go.

Seriously, try the search feature. Many, many threads dedicated to this topic. Since I'm posting, here's what I do:

• 1.) PJ1 spray on filter cleaner (disintegrates everything on the filter)
    2.) Warm water wash with oxyclean mixed in washing as many times as it takes to get the filter look 100% clean
    3.) Let filter dry 100%
    4.) Re-oil using PJ1 spray filter oil and massage into filter by hand
    5.) Let filter dry again, install and go for a rip

Seriously, try the search feature. Many, many threads dedicated to this topic. Since I'm posting, here's what I do:

• 1.) PJ1 spray on filter cleaner (disintegrates everything on the filter)
    2.) Warm water wash with oxyclean mixed in washing as many times as it takes to get the filter look 100% clean
    3.) Let filter dry 100%
    4.) Re-oil using PJ1 spray filter oil and massage into filter by hand
    5.) Let filter dry again, install and go for a rip

Don't forget step 4.5 (or whatever number it is just before you install it): grease the rim of the air filter and the hole where the bolt goes through. :)

• Like 1

I use the belray filter oil and found no soap/detergent that would cut that stuff. So I use a bucket of mineral spirits to cut the oil then immediately wash with warm soapy water. Dry and re-oil. I also have several filters so I do all of them at once to reduce the frequency I make the big mess.

Don't forget step 4.5 (or whatever number it is just before you install it): grease the rim of the air filter and the hole where the bolt goes through. :)

I never do that and have never, ever gotten any dirt in my air boot. I just make sure to spray the sealing ring well with filter oil and use that in place of rim grease. Seems to work just as well if not better.

Where the mounting bolt goes however is a good spot to dab some grease :banghead:

pour some gas in a container. grab some gloves. remove air filter. stick air filter in gas and dunk squeeze it out until the gas is almost black/ your filter is cleaner. take to outside sink/bucket fill with water dunk and wash filter until its clean. you can use simple green too which i find helps. wash it til gas smell is it. let dry liberally apply bel-ray filter oil inside and out. until whole filter is blue. but not to much to where you can squeeze and oil comes out. grease around airboot in air box and re-install filter:thumbsup: :):banghead: