Sign in to follow this  

splitting cases

well i am getting ready to split the cases on my 04 rm 125. i have never done this before, so does anyone have any tips? i will be taking pics through disassembly for help putting it backtogether

You don't need a case splitting tool. Just a dead blow hammer. Just used lots of easy blows around the case and it will start seperate. The only problem you may run into is the crank sticking in the left case. I would have your local shop just press it out. It shouldn't cost be more that $15-$20.

When you go to put everything back together use the freezer/oven trick. Put the bearings in the freezer and the the case in the oven (on the lowest heat setting). Wait like 20-30 minutes. The bearings will contract slightly and the case will expand slightly. So when you go to put it all together the bearings will drop right in. Then do the samething with the crank in the freezer and the case/bearings in the oven.

• Like 1

Also make sure you remove ALL of the case halve bolts. There will be at least 3 under the stator cover. If you start hitting the center of the cases with the dead blow and they are not seperating you will know why. It's also okay to use a propane torch to soften the case sealent in the center of the cases before you hit them. Then when it starts separating it's done when the cases are about 3/4 to 1" apart. Then using your hands pull them apart and take notice of the trans shafts and what shims or washers might fall out of the cases. The crank will still be stuck in one side of the motor. If your going to replace it bang away but if it's going to be reused then find someone with a press and get it out that way. You can probably take the case halves and have a shop or friend with a press get the crank and bearings out for cheap. Then either install them yourself with the freezer method or take them back to the shop or friend and have them reinstall the bearings and crank.

But by all means DO NOT PRY THE CASES APART WITH ANYTHING or the mating surfaces will be trashed.

didnt think about the sealant between the case halves. the bike will be getting a new crank so im ont worried about that, and i have access to a press just in case. thanks for the help everyone