Sign in to follow this  

what sprocket to run on my 90 RM125

I was going wondering what size sprocket to run on my RM125. Right now it has a 51 tooth sprocket on it in the rear....It is extremly worn though. I have a brand new looking 49 tooth sprocket but my chain is really to long to use it. Is it possible to shorten my chain? Should I just get a larger rear sprocket and sell the 49 tooth sprocket? the bike was bought as a basket case and came with lots of parts that needed to be reassembled and also extra parts.

If you sprocket is shot then your chain is shot. If you want to rig it you can grind a link out of the chain and buy a master link from a shop. I would put a new chain and check the front sprocket.

the chain looks good. It already has a master link. It just looks to big for the bike. The front sprocket looks in good shape. Honestly the chain looks brand new as does the extra 49 tooth sprocket. The 51 tooth sprocket is well used and has RM stamped on it. The 49 tooth sprocket is a sunline or something like that. If I run the 49 tooth I will probably have to take 3 or 4 links out of the chain. I just dont want to loose too much performance is all.

run the stock front sprocket and get a 50 tooth for the rear. youll still have your bottom end and you wont lose that much of top end.if you run the 49 tooth,youll be clutching your butt off.

run the stock front sprocket and get a 50 tooth for the rear. youll still have your bottom end and you wont lose that much of top end.if you run the 49 tooth,youll be clutching your butt off.

Why, what does the lower tooth sprocket do?