Sign in to follow this  

Trail Rules

1. If you get off the trail, try not to dig holes getting back on the trail. Push or pull the bike back onto the trail base and then continue after you fix the mess you may have made.

2. Don't create unnessecary reroutes. If a tree is in the way, try to move it, or cut it out(with the saw that you are supposed to have in your pack),ride or push the bike over it, or turn around and use a different trail. Return with a saw and buck out the tree ASAP. If you can't, send an email or phone call to all your friends and/or forest rangers so they can bring a saw next time to cut out the tree.

3. If a certain trail has an obstacle that is difficult for all to navigate, consider traveling only one way.

4. Be courteous to ALL trail users. Bikers, hikers and horses

5. Volunteer for maintenance and get involved locally.

6. Signal the number of (known)people in the group to people coming in the other direction, yield to uphill traffic and move as far to the right as possible.

7. Slow down on blind corners, Don't look back for extended periods of time while riding forward, pull to the side if you don't see your buddy or group and use caution when cresting a hill.

8. Shut the motors off when you see horses and remove your helmet.

9. Wait at forks in the trail for those behind you and wat for an ok signal before proceeding. Be responsible for the person behind you. Wait for a "thumbs up" , or some sort of OK sign when the last rider rides up to the group, not just ensuring they made it.

10. pick up your trash (pack it in pack it out)

11. When you can, pick up trash the other jerks left.

12. Show up on time and get ready quickly, get away from the trailheads asap. to avoid head ons and to disperse traffic.

13. Prepare your bike properly for the ride before you get to the staging area, no jetting adjustments or decide that you need to change the oil or add estart.

Bring the right "tool" for the job, don't bring your pimped out FMX bike to the 50+ mile cross country ride with stock fuel tank, no tools and your flat bill on sideways, especially if you have no clue about the size of your muffler bearings. Note: This is intended for squids who haven't a clue what trail riding is about. If you choose to ride an MX bike with no tools, yet you can run at the front of the pack and you bring extra gas, then do it, otherwise, the FMX ramp is over there.

14. Always lend a helping hand to a rider in need, even if means some sacrifice on your part.

15. No Whining!

16. Always have a back up plan. In other words, look at the maps before you go, even if you don't know what trails. Try to remember specificly large trails or things like 5 way intersections or other distictive landmarks. If you have one, carry your GPS.

17. No racing or fast riding around groups of people. Staging areas, camp, other groups on the trail, etc. For the guy doing donuts on his quad see number 18.

18. If someone is acting like an A-HOLE and is making dirt bikers look like a bunch of lawless punks, punch them in the face.

19. Let someone know where you are going and what time you are expected back.

20. No "A" lines. Quit straightening out the trail. (ie shortcutting switchbacks). It is used as ammo against us by the FS. Besides, the more turns the better right?

21. Try not to brake slide a downhill switchback. Learn to roll it. If you can't roll it, lock the front brake, compress the forks and kick the back to the opposite side of the turn.

22. Don't roost an uphill switchback. Roll it, wheelie it, or three point it.

23. Where the trails are technical, momentum is usually your best friend. Coming to the top of a hill losing speed and then hammering the throttle WFO only digs trenches and makes it worse for others. If you can't make it, try it again, or have someone help you, don't just tear up the hill.

24. Count the number of riders in your group before leaving so you know how many should be showing up at each stop.

25. Don't turn around and head back to camp without telling anyone...major boner!!!

26. Have someone responsible ride "drag" (last) in case of problems that arisa he/she knows what to do!

27. Don't pass the leader especially if you've got a specific destination planned. IF the leader, chosses to lead from the back, then make sure to regroup often.

28. Not all riders adhere to the same ride principles as you or I do, so you need to establish these expectations early on and before the ride. Get things straight before you start. for example:

-Will the ride leader(s) stop at each intersection to ensure the group follows the change in direction?

-Will each rider take periodic glances to check on the rider behind them?

-What is the procedure(s) to follow if you get separated from the group?

-Does everyone know and follow the proper hand signal protocol.

-If the ride plan has a intermediate stop over, such as a store, gas station, restaurant, saloon or Burro Schmidt's Tunnel. Establish the groups intention and time expectations at each stop over.

29. Make sure everyone knows the plan and follows the plan. Will they eat, gas up or sight see. There is nothing worse than waiting around for someone that has just ordered a three course meal at the over-crowded store/restaurant/saloon or just wandered off to completely tour the tunnel.

30. No quads or Rhinos on singletrack. We all need a place to ride, but damn it, follow the rules, if the trail is designated moto only then stay off it, if it is a 50" or less trail, keep the rhino's and jeeps off of it.

31. Save the beers for after the ride(at minimum limit the beers to one, if you bring two you better be sharing)

32. Have fun.

I have sent this list to one of the brian's no response. Is there a California moderator?? Who can stick this at the top??

• Like 3

Nice job dude! That is a very good comprised list! Thank you for your hard work in putting it together. I think every trail rider should copy this and make it their desktop background for at least a week or two.:)

Didn't we already have this thread??????

yeah but it was everyone saying what should be on the list, now that its finalized it should be made a sticky, great job putting it together :)

Trying to get it pinned at the top. But there are no moderators in this forum. I pmed brian wilson and ud luz, see what they can do, but no replies.

Jer see rule 15.

Good list for all to see. The only tough one is the saw one. It is amazing how 80 to 90% of people don't even follow the simplest of rules. As stated, this defintely should be a sticky.

WG

Good list ZDawg, there are some on this forum that will never learn or abide by these kind of rules though.

The only one I question, and not that it's way off base or anything, is the taking off the helmet for horses. I've talked to several horseback riders that have said it isn't an issue. If the horse is under control, seeing a guy on a bike wearing a helmet isn't an issue, if the horse is spooked or jumpy taking off the helmet isn't going to make any difference. If you're going to sit and chat with them for a while, or you'll be waiting for a while for them to get well clear of the area, taking the helmet off makes sense. Most times I've had the horseback riders ask me to go ahead while they wait though.

Just something I picked up from MTBR. Figure it can't hurt. I have also been told to proceed right on past the horses with no issues.

Figure if the person is on a known multi use trail, they should be on a horse that can handle that.

Nice post.

Remind me of all the rules next time we meet, then I'll go my separate way.

Too organized for my tastes, smacks of grade school.

Common sense is all the rules I need..................

Nice post.

The funny thing about common sense is that everyone claims to have it!

Be part of the cure, not part of the problem!:)

Nice post.

So which rules do you break???

We all break some of them, but some of this common sense isn't so common. The list is to read through and think about, it may help to shorten the learning curve to new riders and also impart a sense of responsibility for the trails we ride.

We all have the choice not to read them or follow them, good thing about choices is they are ours to make.:)

:) Good List!I often forget to signal(#6)how many riders but I ride alone a lot so it is sometimes difficult to remember when with a group.I haven't punched anyone in the face yet,(#18)but I have sat and blocked kwads from going on trails at Elkins Flat before.All my "friends" took off and left me alone once to face down 10-12 idiots that were together on kwads and bikes but I stood my ground and made sure they went a different way rather than wreck more of rte. 31...So where is the list of rules for Superslyko?:banghead: :banghead: :foul:

So where is the list of rules for Superslyko?:banghead::):foul:

TT doesn't have unlimited resources you know....:banghead::p

:banghead: I Roared!

I'm :banghead: that you guys even mention my name.

:foul:

I've been on a numerous rides where Zeke breaks a few of these rules. :)

Nice post.

+1 above. Isn't the whole list # 15? :)