Sign in to follow this  

collar bone surgery recently -- concerns.

Hi, I'm an avid sports lover and have been playing soccer all my life. I apologize if I have come to the wrong forum, but it seems every attempt I make with google or some other search engine to find some answers brings me to this forum... so I figure, maybe this is a good place to ask. :banghead: I've been reading different posts, and have actually found a lot of information about collar bone surgery and the aftermath... perhaps a bit more than I bargained for, because now I'm hoping I made the right decision.

This past Tuesday [March 10th], I underwent a "routine" collar bone surgery to put in a plate and screws after be told I was a "non-union". Now, I like to think my recovery is going pretty good. Already, less than a week after, I have much of my movement back and am only stiff/sore some of the time. Being only 19 years old, I wasn't expecting a terribly long recovery, seeing as my recovery from the original break after a horrific soccer game didn't take long either.

However, what really freaks me out is that, even after the nerve block wore off after the first 24 hours, I am still numb in my upper chest and a bit into my shoulder, right around the incision. I'm assuming this is nerve damage, however I'm curious as to other peoples' experiences with how long it lasts. My ortho told me prior to surgery that "there is a small possibility of nerve damage and infection" and that was all he said, so I never thought much of it, until now. :) Will some of the feeling come back, in time? If so, how long should I be expecting before I assume that it isn't going to come back.

[[wow, that was a novel. sorry guys.]]

First I want to say you came to the right place. Second numbness around the incision is comletely normal and it may last a month or 2 ...everybody is different. You should post an Xray of before and after so we can see the handi work...

Search my threads...I was a non-union for 4 1/2 months and then finally flew to Dr Mark's office. he fixed me up and a little over a year after surgery my shoulder is 100%...like it never happened.

Scotty J.

However, what really freaks me out is that, even after the nerve block wore off after the first 24 hours, I am still numb in my upper chest and a bit into my shoulder, right around the incision. I'm assuming this is nerve damage, however I'm curious as to other peoples' experiences with how long it lasts. My ortho told me prior to surgery that "there is a small possibility of nerve damage and infection" and that was all he said, so I never thought much of it, until now. :banghead: Will some of the feeling come back, in time? If so, how long should I be expecting before I assume that it isn't going to come back.

Assuming you're just talking about the skin surface being numb, that's normal. I was lucky enough to get 2 surgeries for the same broken collarbone :) , and it took several months before the feeling started coming back around the incision. Feels kinda creepy at first, but then you stop noticing it.