Sign in to follow this  

Stabilizer in my future

Well I just got done doing my first truly gnarly uphill rock garden ride on the X.

I was struggling with the front end constantly bouncing off cantelope sized rocks, getting some serious arm pump. Anyway ran into rider with a stabilizer (RTT) on his honda. First thing he said was "dude you need a stabilizer for this stuff - I wouldn't ride here without one."

I think he was right. I had a scotts on a XR600 years ago, just never got around to putting out the $ for another.

I'm thinking it will help with the above mentioned kind of riding. Had a pretty hard fall from the front bouncing at high speed today. Not fun.

Any thoughts?

Man that pic is huge. Anyone know how to resize it? It was off my cell phone - thought it would be smaller. Should I delete that?

What pic, Nils? Stabilizer saved my arse today more times than I can count. They are especially worthy keeping the front stable on rocky uphills IMHO. I found a Scott's submount kit for under $500 total but these things are pricey. GPRs are a few bucks cheaper and just as good or better for stability since they dampen back to center. If I had confidence the GPR's wouldn't leak I would prefer them.

Can you not see the pic? Second post in this thread.

If I get a stabilizer I may have to get new bars (if I use the submount).

Damn! Just put those protaper windham's on and love the feel. Not sure I would like it if I raise them another 1/2in.

Can you not see the pic? Second post in this thread.

If I get a stabilizer I may have to get new bars (if I use the submount).

Damn! Just put those protaper windham's on and love the feel. Not sure I would like it if I raise them another 1/2in.

Doesn't work. Send it over to me and I will resize it and post it. the_old-man@sbcglobal.net Make sure you click on the email address because it doesn't show the under score between the the_old

I have a scotts on my bike and love it. I got one that is a sub mount. :)

Thanks old man. I have the highwaydirtbikes handguards and contacted them for the mount for the scotts. not sure if they have one for GPR so that will make my decision easier I guess.

Am hoping this will help a little with the arm pump I have been getting lately too. If my arms weren't feeling like they were gonna fall off this afternoon I may have stayed on the bike.

Heard back from highwaydirtbikes. Gonna raise my bars by 7/8".

How tall are you guys and what bend of bars you using with the scotts submount?

Heard back from highwaydirtbikes. Gonna raise my bars by 7/8".

How tall are you guys and what bend of bars you using with the scotts submount?

Man you are going to get all kinds of answer on this one.

I'm 5' 10" and have the Renthal RC/OEM HONDA 04-UP OEM fat bars. They are in red. I had the Pro Taper Pastrana FMX handlebar and they were way to tall for what I like.

mount2wq5.jpg

I'm 6'2. I have the Windham mid bars with HDB 4 inch risers and low boy pegs. For me this combo is excellent. I too need to get a dampner. I think I was on the same rocky hill climb as you this weekend. Still feelin it.

Newplasticgraphics002.jpg

Bruce

Forgot I had the fastway pegs in low position. I'll try raising them and then using my windhams first.

I think I need to work some more for all the stuff I'm buying! And to top it off was riding my street bike today and had a fender bolt loosen and damage a $239 new tire (fat avon 250)! Ouch.

I run the Scott's top mount. I can see how the sub mount would be a bit safer, but I have always run the top mount and never had a problem with it. I transferred the stabilizer from another bike. I think the fatbar kit and pin clamp from Scott's were under $120.

Everyone I know with a top mount is perfectly happy with it. I have a very bad habit of smacking my face and head on the bars so given a choice I try to run with submounts. I'll tell you the Scotts saved my bacon more than once yesterday. I had what seemed like simultaneous deflection of both tires off rocks a few times and it scared the daylights out of me. I'm pretty sure without a stabilizer I would have been road kill.

Scotts and a submount like cubera. Sometimes I wonder if it works, then I hit a rock, and I don't even feel it, then I remember, "hey my stabilizer works GOOD".

The damper is my favorite purchase right after the suspension mods. You won't be disappointed if you get it! :)

I'm 6'1" and run a submount setup with Henry/Reeds. I've tried the Carmichaels and the Windhams, they were too low & too high, respectively.

The Windham bend was great if I was riding really aggressively, but once I settled into a good riding pace or started to cruise they were too tall.

With the submount setup the Henry/Reeds feel pretty close to stock and might be just a tad higher. They feel perfect to me.