Sign in to follow this  

LL Qualifier and Whitney Spring Classic

Like most of ya'll I'm a one man show----the financer, mechanic, transporter, public relations and rider :banghead: . Friday a week ago I left work for Gravity Alley Mx Park in Breaux Bridge La. for the South Central LL Area Qualifier. It's only about a 2 hour drive, and I got there and in bed by 10:30 PM. Got up Saturday morning and was at the track at 6:00 AM. But I forgot it's youths and womens on Saturday and Vets on Sunday. In the +40 I got 5th overall. In the +45 I got 4th overall, and in the +50 I ended up 3rd overall after leading it and running out of gas at the finish. I then left that Sunday on an 8 hour drive for Whitney Tx for the Whitney Spring Classic. In the +40 I crashed in the 1st moto and 3 times in the 2nd moto for a 9th place overall. I then got the phone call for our Grandsons open heart surgery. So I drove 6 hours back to Beaumont, then 1 1/2 to Texas Childrens Hospital in Houston. He has a rare heat condition that they see about 3 times a year. His heart has the defects of Down Syndrone, but he's not Down. The surgery went fast and well. Immediately his heart swelling went down, blood pressure was good and lungs cleared up. He was off the breathing machine the next morning. I'll try and post some pics of him. I then drove 1 1/2 hours back to Beaumont, slept 3 hours and then drove 6 hours back to the Whitney Spring Classic. I ended up missing the +45, but I made the +50 due to rain delays. I got the holeshot in the 1st moto, but got passed in the whoops and a small double up single down that I wasn't doing. I tried it during practice and clipped it, and it sent me sideways :banghead: . 2nd moto lousy start, but gooned my way to a 3rd overall. Even if you don't race, you would enjoy watching the next crop of potential Mx stars. Bogle, Poluzi, Bell, Weeks, O'Dell, Anderson, Spangler, Tapia, Regal and WOW-----Dean Wilson. This kid is smooth and fast, and should be on the factories radar. Malcom Stewart I believe finished 8th in one of the B classes, but won the 4 stroke open. They announced that he would turn Pro later this summer for Loretta's. Did I mention that Ryan Hughes is still very fast, but he doesn't look it. He mostly stands, rides forward and in a tall gear, but he's moving. Keith Johnson is fast too. I was walking the track at the end of one of the days of racing, and there was Blake Wharton walking the track too. I asked if he had a magic marker and he said no. I said what about a hand shake, and he said that was even better. But his freind had one and he signed the back of my shirt. He was very talkative and polite. I know this ran long, but I'm still wound up on Red Bulls and 5 Hour Energy Shots from all the driving with no sleep :). Thanks for istening to me bable.

WOW what an adventure!! Congrats on the good results.

Dang, and at 50 years old!! I need you to talk to my girlfriend about me not being too old to ride at 23 haha.

I didn't start riding til I was 34.

WW, prayers for your grandson.:)

I didn't start riding til I was 34.

WW, prayers for your grandson.:)

If I can do it, anyone can. As a kid, teenager and young man, I didn't have or ride a dirt bike. I was 44, and a freind of mine invited me and my son to come watch his two boys race. A few months later my son and I are watching a Sx race. We decided to go by two bikes and start riding. My first year I made it to Ponca as a true 125 beginner at 44. It was muddy and I crashed more times than I can remember, but I still got 10th place and made it to the banquet. A few broken bone later, and I never looked back. Although fairly new to Mx, I did race cars for years, and the racing metallity helped alot. I also rode alot of bicycles as a kid and teen, and would build ramps to jump anything. Thanks for the prayers for Preston.