Sign in to follow this  

radiator

hi everyone, i got a question for u guys. 1st of all i damaged my left radiator in a recent ride, the thing is dented big but not leaking. can i still be able 2 fix it or not? and are the radiators of 450x and 450r are the same?????? i have an 450x 08........ any info will help thanks.......:)

Krannie is right if it's not leaking don't fix it. I straigtened my rad after a fall. Looked real good but leaked like heck. I replaced it with an aftermarket, (Ebay.) Several companies make them and china has one also about $100. They are far stronger. All welded construction with much thicker alum and the frames are much thicker. They are polished too. I can't wait to kill the other side so I can replace it with something quality.

Original equipment rads are crimpt and heated in an oven to seal much like a soldering process. Cheap to produce and okay for a street bike but inferior for a dirt bike that gets dropped.

I hit a tree hard about 6 months after I got my X and flattened most of the first row of fins on the right radiator (smashed the first row against the second row). It doesn't leak and I have run it since then with no problems (including no overheating problems). I would leave it alone unless it leaks.

thankz guys, im leaving my radiator lyk dat. im gona get me an aftermarket ones, incase it gets worst and im getting radiators guards:ride:

thankz guys, im leaving my radiator lyk dat. im gona get me an aftermarket ones, incase it gets worst and im getting radiators guards:ride:

Yes rad gaurds are a great idea. my require a little tweaking because of the bent rad but they will prevent any furture damage.

mohardracing.com

the real stuff

milroost, can you tell us more about them then just posting a link on every thread? They look real nice. How thick are they? Maybe a few pictures of some on and off of the bike? What is the side support like?

Yah, oldman, be glad to. The front grills are 1/4" treated T-6 aluminum and the grill portion is milled down to 1/8" of an inch into a honeycomb pattern. The sides start out a 1/2" billet and are milled to 3/16" thick. The bosses are left to insert into the front grill where you see the stainless screws which makes them as strong as one piece. And then when possible we put rear connecting bosses like the KTM pics on the mohardracing site and/or tri-brackets because the side plates have width they torcue instead of bend.

All this can be seen on our website www.mohardracing.com, you just have to look closely. They are engineered only to 'give' before frame bosses do.

If you more questions email me from the website: info @ mohard racing

Mohard

Krannie is right if it's not leaking don't fix it. I straigtened my rad after a fall. Looked real good but leaked like heck. I replaced it with an aftermarket, (Ebay.) Several companies make them and china has one also about $100. They are far stronger. All welded construction with much thicker alum and the frames are much thicker. They are polished too. I can't wait to kill the other side so I can replace it with something quality.

Original equipment rads are crimpt and heated in an oven to seal much like a soldering process. Cheap to produce and okay for a street bike but inferior for a dirt bike that gets dropped.

where can I get the radiator from china?

Surely, just put in "Honda CRF 450 radiator" as a search in E-Bay Motors. You'll see several listed. I ordered one from Florida. Came in a nicely designed box, nicely polished unit and on the box was marked "made in China." Sadens me to buy like this but I had no way of knowing where it was made. There are others from other vendors prices range from $80 to $120 each. There was one deal for $170 for both. There's no way of knowing which is made in the US or China unless specified. Either way the handmades units are quality and correctly made rads.

What I like best from the unit is the frame around the cores very solid and heavy gauge. I dropped the bike hard on the unit already without guards (I know I know) and no sign of damage. If it was a stock unit it would have surely crushed. Same 12 row 2 core design only very heavy gauge welded tanks. The heavier alum acts like a big heat sink too.

If I crush the right side I will surely replace it with an aftermarket. I don't think I'll add guards for a variety of reasons and I ride trails also. But you never know I may change my tune after this summer. I'd send you a pic but I'm not savy yet. E-Bay has pics anyways.