04DRZ400s Jetting help

I have an 04 drz400s with 3X3 DJ stage1 full RS3 and:

142.5 main jet

25 pilot jet

Keintech extended fuel screw

needle clip on 4th position

i am at 2000 ft ish

When riding at highway speed for an extended period the bike will surge

real bad, sometimes even stalling the bike out. Am I running too rich?

Also, the new extended fuel screw is very loose in the carb and sometimes even falls out.(only about 2-2.5 turns out) Since insalling the fuel screw the carb also leaks fuel out of the fuel screw.

Any advice on proper jetting,as well as my fuel leak, would be appreciated. :)

Sounds to me like you might have forgotten to swap the spring or o-ring from the stock mixture screw. The spring holds tension on the screw, and the o-ring keeps it from leaking. The spring should go on the screw first, then the small flat washer, and lastly the o-ring. Check the shop manual or an online parts fishe for a diagram. Also seems like your too lean on your main jet. The DJ stage 1 kit doesn't alow for the airbox mod. You should be about at a 155 main, stock pilot with that fuel screw, and clip positon may depend on what needle you have. I highly recomend the JD kit, on the 3rd clip on the blue needle. I run the same setup but with a 160 main at sea level. Good luck!

I have all of the parts installed with the extended screw.I have lost the washer, spring and o-ring twice and had to order new ones due to the damn thing falling out. As far as jetting goes i will try to order a larger main and try that.I have even tried to put the stock screw back in and it leaks as well.

thnx for your input though.

Will it even fall out if its only a turn or two out? Or do you run it further out than 3 turns?

Yes it will eventually work its way out no matter how far in it is. I have the needle that came with the stage1 kit (on the 4th clip) with the BSR carb.

Hurumph...you got me. Other than having the wrong screw in there I've never seen that happen. Weird. Maybe the threads in the carb are wasted. Sorry man!