Sign in to follow this  

Found a bike...literally

So I'm visiting some friends in NM this weekend and we decide to go out shooting today. As we are cruising along out in the middle of nowhere, I spot something just over the edge of the road. I see handlebars/forks/tire of a dirt bike.

So we stop, thinking that we are going to find parts, but we are totally surprised when we find a complete bike. We pulled it up onto the road and started checking it out. It is a 1987 Kawi 2-stroke something. Rough shape, but it is all there. Rear shock blown, both forks leaking, engine case leaks. Looks like someone had tried to spray paint parts of it while it was still assembled. It has a FMF pipe but the muffler is gone. Both tires are flat. I give the kick start a couple cranks by hand to see if it is seized and it cranks. I jump on it with my foot...and the darn thing starts and runs!!! !

Looking at the tracks in the area, it looked like someone had backed up a truck to the top of this hill, then dumped the bike out the back and tried to get it to roll down into the wash below and left it there.

So we load the thing up and take it home. I called the local PD and reported the VIN to find out if it had been stolen and they said no one had reported it. So I'm going to go through the abandoned vehicle process and have me a new project. I'll post up pics when I get back home.

Exactly, can't beat a free bike. I'd re-seal the engine, fresh fluids and slap the engine on a little go kart frame.

Engine overhaul, fresh seals and oil on both forks, get the rear shock serviced and a muffler and you are good to go!

Awesome that you found a bike, I wish I was that lucky!

story for ya guys. we had an old 84 cr 500 that rarely started. one day I was able to get it to start up randomly, so I decided I would take it for a long, hard gravel road ride. I was gonna grab my cell phone but my muddy boots were already on and I didnt wanna track mun in through the house, I also didnt wanna take the boots off and leave the bike idiling (it didnt idle so well) so I decided I wouldnt need it. and took off.

15 km from my house im riding the gravel road still, middle of nowhere, on the top of a big hill/gravel road. rode in the ditch and went a little too slow, and the damn bike stalled, tipped over, and the handlebar went INTO the top front of my boot, down into my boot and scratched the hell out of my shin.

I tried kickstarting it 100 times with a sore shin, wouldnt start if my life depended on it, I tried every trick in the book. but I was on a hill, so I tried bombstarting it. tried bombstarting it 4 times in 1st and 4 times in 2nd gear, nothing. by that time I was at the bottom of the hill, out of energy and luck.

the bike was flooded as hell, probably needed a new top end real soon, and the cable in the clutch casing let go, so I had no clutch. thats why it wouldnt start. I was RAGING MAD at this point. I lifted the 300 lb bike of the ground and tossed it into the ditch I was so mad, literally lifted and tossed it like a rag doll.

I took my boots off, didnt wanna walk home in big ass boots, and threw them in the field, started walking down the gravel road in my socks. trying t walk on the bare spots not the stones. bad idea. got about 500 feet and turned around to go get my boots :)

got the boots on and walked about 8 km, with big heavy boots on, no energy from giving everything I had trying to start the cr500, shin was sooooooo sore. and I was very pissed off. I walked approx 8km and finally decided I would stop at the farmers house up ahead. I sweat he had decaying bodies in his yard it stunk so bad. I asked to use his phone. he said ok so I called my litle brother and told him I was 8 km up the road behind our house. he hopped on his 08 crf250 and came and picked me up as I sat and waited for him on the road.

we doubled home, the bike sat in the ditch over the weekend, I had no intentions on getting it. it was a friends bike, I paid 400$ for it and he was supposed to give me the 400$ but never did. he ended up going and getting the bike after it sat in plain view in the ditch for 4 days. no one touched it, it was still how I left it.

if thats too long for you, heres the moral of the story: NEVER GO BIKING WITHOUT A CELL PHONE!!!

Engine overhaul, fresh seals and oil on both forks, get the rear shock serviced and a muffler and you are good to go!

Awesome that you found a bike, I wish I was that lucky!

engine over haul: 300$

fork rebuild: 200$

rear shock rebuild: 300$

exhaust: 150$

so for under 1000$ you got a decent bike.

Cool story. If you need some spare parts I have two '87 kx250 engines.

Coincidently I bought them for a shifter kart project. They needed too much work though so I went with a newer '05 kx250. The kart rips.

I got two flats and went to get help and then couldn't find out where I left my bike. please return my bike to me. thanks :)

Cool story. If you need some spare parts I have two '87 kx250 engines.

Coincidently I bought them for a shifter kart project. They needed too much work though so I went with a newer '05 kx250. The kart rips.

Sweet! Thanks. PM sent

If its free, its for me! Nice score!

Hey man, thats my bike. I was letting it sit there to get the "aged" look. :)

:banghead: just kidding. sweet find dude

stoked!!!!!! ive foundlots of parts but never a full bike ! right on

I got my bike free. Had it going an hour later. Bout a week and $50 later it runs like a champ. Still working on the jetting thogh it can foul a plug in less then an hour.